My dog is to obedient to fetch but I want to teach him how can I?

My dog is a Golden Retriever that is very obedient. He loves people but doesn't play much. I realy want to teach him to fetch but he just sits there when I throw the ball.

My dog is a Golden Retriever that is very obedient. He loves people but doesn't play much. I realy want to teach him to fetch but he just sits there when I throw the ball....
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is to obedient to fetch but I want to teach him how can I?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog is to obedient to fetch but I want to teach him how can I?

My dog is to obedient to fetch but I want to teach him how can I? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a Golden Retriever that is very obedient. He loves people but doesn't play much. I realy want to teach him to fetch but he just sits there when I throw the ball.

My dog is to obedient to fetch but I want to teach him how can I? General Dog Discussions
    • Not all retrievers like to fetch. I would never force one of my dogs to do something it wasn't going to enjoy. I even make everyday obedience commands fun. As far as extras, like fetch, if they don't get into it, I find something else they get into to.

• Well with a golden retriever that should be really easy. You should teach fetching in two parts - one is the chasing the ball part and the other is the giving it back part. The second part is actually by far the most important. You can train it really easily by rewarding your dog with a treat whenever he brings you a toy and gives it to you. Once your dog will do this reliably to a command like 'give' or 'mine' then you can put this together with the first part. Most golden retrievers will do the chasing part without any encouragement at all. If they are a little reluctant then try to get them really excited about the toy you are going to throw before chucking it, and only throw it a little way to start with. If the dog refuses to bring the toy back then go back to the 'give' training until he gets the message. Good luck! lots of luck,lara

• toss a ball or stick, you go fetch it, start laughing and waving the stick or ball, do not let dog have it until they pay full attention to you, then toss or drop item close to you, if dog does not get the idea, continue until you go nuts.

• Oh that's normal.My dog is a German Shepherd/Retriever mix and when i throw a ball it sniffs it and runs back to me hoping for a treat. i doesn't like being petted that much but is obedient.

• There are two ways to teach a dog to fetch:1. Place the toy in the dog's mouth and give the command "fetch." Use the same toy at first not to confuse the dog. Then teach him to hold the toy in his mouth until you say "give" or "drop." Always use lots of praise. Once your dog has mastered these two commands, you can start placing the toy on the floor and steping back. Then give the "fetch" command and then the "come". Make sure to use lots of praise and watch your tone of voice, you want him to know that this is a game. 2. If your dog will already hold the toy in his mouth you can try running away from him, when he catches up to you with the toy still in his mouth stop and give him praise. In my experience this way only works for puppies.

• have you got a friend with a fetching dog i found that when i tought my dog to fetch i used the help of my friends older dog , at first she just chased the other dogbut eventually got the idea maybe that will be worth a try. also maybe getting involved in a type of dog sport may be rewarding as then you could try out lots of different games with him mine likes zipball. any way good luck