whast better for a red ear slider turtle to sleep, on land or int he water?

i always let my 15 year odlslider turtle out of thetank and run around the room. i sometimes forget and he sleeps fine on the floor or under somethingis that ok to let him do that? if not why not

i always let my 15 year odlslider turtle out of thetank and run around the room. i sometimes forget and he sleeps fine on the floor or under somethingis that ok to let him do that? if not why not...
    General Dog Discussions : whast better for a red ear slider turtle to sleep, on land or int he water?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• whast better for a red ear slider turtle to sleep, on land or int he water?

whast better for a red ear slider turtle to sleep, on land or int he water? General Dog Discussions
      i always let my 15 year odlslider turtle out of thetank and run around the room. i sometimes forget and he sleeps fine on the floor or under somethingis that ok to let him do that? if not why not

whast better for a red ear slider turtle to sleep, on land or int he water? General Dog Discussions
    • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do you not know how to take care of him..?ALWAYS keep him in the water with a basking dock. You don't want him to dry out, get stepped on.Eated by a dog or cat.http://www.flickr.com/photos/29035692@N03/sets/72157617357048652/ ****Austinsturtlepage.com’ has all info on care and feeding and PICTURES for all land and aquatic turtles.*** Ten gallons per inch of each turtle!! Sliders, westerns, cooters , midland, painted, map, yellow bellied ,are all are basically the same and require the same basic care.They NEED calcium and protein they get it from the fish meat and the fish bones. Drop 20 or 30 or so feeder guppies or small goldfish or minnows they maybe a bit fast for babies at first jjust drop in the tank and watch them disappear in a few days! **Remember, you need a heater...set at 83 / 85 degrees. If water is cold they will stop eating!Plus I also feed dried cubed blood worms or tubiflex worms or pellets at least 5 times a week for my five..They can have garden worms which I collect after a good rain and dump them in the pond, also meal worms, snails, crickets, flies, crayfish small frogs, slugs, tadpoles, ghost shrimp , dragon flies and anything that moves, but only as a treat.They need leafy greens Romaine, Butter lettuce. (Iceberg and cabbage are bad for them, any other leafy greens will do) for vitamin A that they need at least 4 to 5 times a week.They love grapes and strawberries and squash , apples cut up.. These turtles in captivity do not. They cannot hear or see well so they feel you coming by the vibrations each foot step take. Did you know that they need to bask under a reptile light UVA/UVB for up to 8 hrs a day for the vitamin D that they need to grow. TOSS in a bird cuttle bone in the water for calcium that will promote better shell growth, it will dissolve real slow and if they eat it that’s fine!!So they need a turtle basking dock.**Gravel larger than they can swallow, allot larger. **Better no gravel at all, easier to clean.Their water needs to be clean otherwise the get sick easily from dirty water caused by their poop allot.***You need a GREAT filter system depending on the tank in a 60 gallon my girls were in one year’s ago. I used two double sided marine or penguin filters…It really helped keep it cleaner! They will bite VERY hard. Under 4" they carry a disease called 'salmonella'. So you should wash after every handling ANY size turtle or reptile anyway. ***And my pictures don't lie. All ages and all sizes get along as long as their is allot for SWIM ROOM and PLENTY TO EAT! They can become cannibalistic if you have 2 or more turtles and a small environment. They will kill off the smallest and then fight for the tank for themselves.Size for basic aquatic turtle is approx Body length: 6-8" is average for males, up to 12 inches max for females, but average is about 9 to 10“ in captivity. Life span: 15-25+ year’s plus. Males have the longer front nails and are used in mating. And are considered mature at about 5 yrs old. You can’t start sexing till about 3” across. Real mating happens in May through June and hatchlings within 90 days. Eggs are laid in soil. If laid in water they will die. Mating dance happens all year long with my 5 !They sleep at the bottom of rivers, streams. lakes or ponds or your tank to avoid predators like coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, possums, raccoons and even some wide mouth bass and us humans.***Some sicknesses they get easily like shell its actual holes rotting through the shell. Respiratory sickness, lopsided swimming, coughing, vomiting, blowing bubbles from their nose. . Treatment is 10 days of injections of Baytril (enrofloxacin) liquid into the front legs. To do this, you must consult a vet to get the antibiotic and the proper dosage. Do not guess on the dose. Increase water to 83/85 degrees. Swollen eyes due to lack of vitamin A fruits and veggies.Fungus white cotton patches on their skin. Metabolic bone disease means an inadequate calcium and/or a vitamin D3 deficiency. Contact rescues sites…and vets ..in your city ,state, or countryFor land or aquatic turtles: http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html