do dogs get IV treatment?

My dog hasn't been able to keep any food down for three days. He's under the care of a Vet for a possible bladder tumor. Can he benefit from aN IV drip?

My dog hasn't been able to keep any food down for three days. He's under the care of a Vet for a possible bladder tumor. Can he benefit from aN IV drip?...
    General Dog Discussions : do dogs get IV treatment?...

• do dogs get IV treatment?

do dogs get IV treatment? General Dog Discussions
      My dog hasn't been able to keep any food down for three days. He's under the care of a Vet for a possible bladder tumor. Can he benefit from aN IV drip?

do dogs get IV treatment? General Dog Discussions
    • He would benefit. Usually, though, the vet will give a bolus (large amount) of fluid in a pocket sq (subcutaneously - just underneath the skin). This offers less discomfort and more mobility than being hooked up to an IV. You should get the vet to evauluate the cause of the vomiting. In the meantime, offer small amounts of wet food and water or low-sodium broth (best is home made boiled broth, no salt added). ONLY give tiny amounts at a time, as this will help lessen the chance of vomiting a large amount of volume. Talk to the doctor about the possibility of giving an anti-emetic like Gravol (dimenhydrinate) or having one prescribed. If the dog is on medications, they may be the cause of the vomiting, so a different drug may need to be considered. Get your dog to the doc asap - especially if he isn't able to keep fluids as well as food down. Dehydration can be an emergency.