what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it?

the dog and that cat each ate 1 dead rat each. Both rats were poisoned/killed by the rat poison deacon. nothing was done to eitther the dog or the cat to induce vomiting of the rodents; no peroxide was given, no vitamin k was given, absolutely nothing…

what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it?

the dog and that cat each ate 1 dead rat each. Both rats were poisoned/killed by the rat poison deacon. nothing was done to eitther the dog or the cat to induce vomiting of the rodents; no peroxide was given, no vitamin k was given, absolutely nothing…...
    General Dog Discussions : what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it?...

• what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it?

what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it? General Dog Discussions
      the dog and that cat each ate 1 dead rat each. Both rats were poisoned/killed by the rat poison deacon. nothing was done to eitther the dog or the cat to induce vomiting of the rodents; no peroxide was given, no vitamin k was given, absolutely nothing was done to rid their bodies of the poisoned rats. aproximately 8 hours have lapsed since the dog and cat ate the rats. what effects will that have on the dog and the cat? what will their symptoms be? the dog is 1.5 yrs old and is a boxer pitt mix about 45-60 lbs and the cat is an unknown age, type, and weight, but is a house cat that goes outside alot. How long would it take for them to die if left untreated? what are the chances they would survive? any long term effects? please answer all the questions losted above as efficiently as possible and try to answer as many as possible please. thanks and how ever pulls this off must be an absoulte genius. thanks again and good luck to all.this is purely an inquiry. it hasnt really happened.i just saw a rat in my kitchen today and we have 9 dogs and 1 cat in the backyards of my house including the neighbors, weve also noticed a few rats in our back yard and wanted to put some deacon out but not until we researched it hints all the questions.

what happens to a dog and cat that eat dead rats poisoned by deacon and they both digest it? General Dog Discussions
    • What will happen to your pets will depend on the amount of poison they ingest which is impossible to tell so I will assume that they have both ingested enough to cause problems:Brodifacoum (active ingredient in D-con rat poison) acts, in short, to disrupt normal clotting factor production which leads to bleeding. It may take up to 48-72 hours before signs would be evident. Signs seen relate to bleeding into different parts of the body and blood loss. Some things that may be seen include hemorrhage, pale mucous membranes, weakness, exercise intolerance, lameness, difficult breathing, coughing, or swollen joints. If there is bleeding in the brain, there may be seizures, depression, or death.If treatment is delayed to long, blood or plasma transfusions may be necessary. If multiple transfusions are required, blood clots may form inside the vessels and embolize in organs, lungs, or brain resulting in death.Early treatment is warranted since you know that the animals have eaten the poison. Just get them to the vet, okay?

• Warfarin (rat poison) causes death by interfering with the blood clotting mechanism. This leads to spontaneous bleeding. The mice/rats bleed to death! This is how the poisen works and this is what can also happen to your pets. There are no observable signs of warfarin poisoning until the pet begins to pass blood in the stool or urine, bleeds from the nose or develops hemorrhages beneath the gums and skin. Your pets may be found dead with no apparent cause. Treatment (if just happened): Induce vomiting and Vitamin K (for clotting) is a specific antidote. It is given intramuscularly (or in cases where there are no symptoms it can be given by mouth as a preventative). Treatment (since so much time has passed) - I would contact your vet to see if there is something to lessen the effects. They may still give the Vitamin K.The long term effects could be bleeding disorders.I really recommend calling your vet for some suggestions.