You have a dog with a broken hip?

Hypothetical situation.....Your dog has broken it's hip. There is no way you can beg, borrow or steal. Something has happened and you can not get money at all.Is it better to put the dog down or let it heal it's self. What complications could come…

Hypothetical situation.....Your dog has broken it's hip. There is no way you can beg, borrow or steal. Something has happened and you can not get money at all.Is it better to put the dog down or let it heal it's self. What complications could come…...
    General Dog Discussions : You have a dog with a broken hip?...

• You have a dog with a broken hip?

You have a dog with a broken hip? General Dog Discussions
      Hypothetical situation.....Your dog has broken it's hip. There is no way you can beg, borrow or steal. Something has happened and you can not get money at all.Is it better to put the dog down or let it heal it's self. What complications could come from letting it heal it's self?What are your reasons?It is hypothetical guys I just want to know the complications and such.....Sorry Bulliesrock but it was not me who thumbs downed you. It is hypothetical and the reason I asked was that my curiosity was triggered by 2 previous Q about dogs that had broken bones and they had no money. I was just thinking what would be best and why if these two previous posters left their dogs to heal on their own :)

You have a dog with a broken hip? General Dog Discussions
    • Personally I would put the dog down. If it healed incorrectly (INCREDIBLY likely), the dog would almost certainly be in pain for the rest of its life. To me that's inexcusable.Of course, with loans and care credit out there.......

• Surrender it to the vet or the ASPCA they can help the dog and adopt it out when its better. Its the most unselfish thing to do. Putting it down because you can't treat it or letting it suffer with a badly healed hip are both cruel and selfish.

• There is no excuse for not being able to beg, borrow and steal. I take the dog to the vet, period. I made a commitment to my animal. Once I have the quote from the vet, I call all the local rescues because they all have GOOD SAM FUNDS that help cover medical bills just like this for people who are down on their luck. I am very motivated because I want my dog out of pain as quickly as possible so I call EVERY rescue on the list and get a pledge from each of them. The entire bill ends up being covered because I spent the day calling around to make sure my dog got the treatment that he needed. If I was too lazy to do this, I would take my dog to the ASPCA and relinquish it so that it could get the medical help it needs and doesn't have to suffer any longer. Then they can rehome with a responsible owner who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the money to pay for a vet when it gets injured.EDITED TO ADD: Shanti we put those programs in place for people just like this. If they don't use the money, it doesn't go back into our system for the dogs. We already have OUR dogs care in the budget. We have a separate fund that people generously donate too that helps out the ANIMALS who owners would be CRUEL and not take them to the vet to get the medical help they need. It would be a shame if people didn't utilize the funds as that is what we fundraise them for, what they are specifically donated for and have nothing to do with running the shelter or caring for our dogs in it. It's a shame that people don't understand that before they pop off about it.

• it'll cost to put the dog down too. that aside, i have a dumped lab puppy that was brought into my vets with 5 fractures in his pelvic bone. other than very expensive surgery, crate rest is the best healing. the dog i have stuck in GA also has a couple of fractures in his pelvic bone. again, crate rest.but i'm on excellent terms with my vet. he sees all my pets regularly and he'd allow me to make payments if it was in the dogs best interest.

• I just had this happen to my cat (I know it's not a dog, but 'hypothetically' lets just say we are talking beloved faimly pet) My cat was ran over and broke the head of her femur where it attaches to her hip ball (if I made a mistake with bones names I am sorry this is just from memory) and shattered her pelvis in 5 places. Well. She was on bed rest for a month, because the vet wanted to see how her pelvis would heal before doing surgery on her hip (The orthopedic surgeon for 10,000 was out of our price range ) and she healed great, she walked around awesome and was jumping all was good. I think he may have even considered not doing the surgery except that the sharp part of the broken bone was rubbing and she was trying to CHEW into her back end!! We felt so awful for her, so she had an 'excision arthroplasty, where basically they just made it more comfortable and she still has no 'hip joint' but it will regrow muscles around it and form a fake one.. and she is doing EXCELLENT!! My mom's cat had the same thing, he is 14 and doesn't even walk with a limp... So anyways.. It may heal itself, like my cats originally, but then you may run into MORE trouble later, so if you really don't have the money, it may be more human to just put it down :(FYI: Our cats COMPLETE bill including everything (anaesthetic, IV, meds, etc.) was $1,800 .**Add: to all the people saying to askfor donations from SPCA's and such those are there to help animals with NO HOMES!! I find it disgraceful you would consider taking from them!! Let idk, 3 other animals die so you get a free surgery? not fair to me, in my opinion...

• I think it depends on the break. Which way it is broken, and how severe it is. If it is a clean break, chances are it can heal on its own if it isn't too bad. If it's been broken, with bone fragments and piercing the skin, the dog really should be put down. There are some homeopathic remedies for broken bones in dogs...while these are not the replacement of a vet (which you know) but these may be an option..."Immediately after the injury has occurred, the use of Amica 30c not only relieves pain, but also helps reduce associated swelling. Give four doses every 15 minutes, until you can get the dog to the vet.Symphytum 30c promotes healing of broken bones, for older dogs Calcarea fluorica 30c is often recommended as well. Talk to your vet about how often to give these therapies to your dog."

• It all depends-- Someone asked a similar question, and I got thumbs down galore for my answer!!!!My 11 lb shih tzu was (mis-diagnosed) with a broken pelvis. (She had major neurological problems.) She was very difficult to care for. We had to pick her up, carry her out to pee, (if she didn't already leak) carry her inside, carry her to her bowl, carry her, carry her, carry her!!! It was an ALL day thing. I can only imagine if it was my 55 lb AmStaff this happened too! Honestly, if it was a bigger dog, I would put it down-- there's NO way, no matter how much I wanted too, that I could constantly carry it around!However, if it was a money issue, I'd have to try what I could to help her.... I don't always have money when my kids injure themselves either, but I sure try to do what I can!!!

• I would not need to beg, borrow or steal. I always have money put aside for vet bills as well as a visa card with a high limit just for vet bills. I also have a home, car and contents I could sell. The hip would get fixed the right way.To let it heal on it's own could lead to many complications which could vary depending on the break. It could be anything from leaving the dog with discomfort to death if the hip had a jagged break that could cause major internal damage leading to internal bleeding hemorrhage and death.

• I would do what I could to save me dog. It is sad but dogs lose legs all the time. A shoulder or hip break is not good.I would do all I could to help my dog.Beg, done that, borrow well done that, steal nope havent done that. Sell my stuff yep! sold a few paintings and other art work to pay the vet. Working on peices now to sell.(not just for the vet)