Is my puppy protected with 3 sets of shots?

I have a puppy, she's almost 4 months old. She had her first set of shots from the breeder, then our vet gave her the 2nd set three weeks later. Then again three weeks later we got the 3rd set of shots. That was 2 weeks ago. Is she protected against…

I have a puppy, she's almost 4 months old. She had her first set of shots from the breeder, then our vet gave her the 2nd set three weeks later. Then again three weeks later we got the 3rd set of shots. That was 2 weeks ago. Is she protected against…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is my puppy protected with 3 sets of shots?...

• Is my puppy protected with 3 sets of shots?

Is my puppy protected with 3 sets of shots? General Dog Discussions
      I have a puppy, she's almost 4 months old. She had her first set of shots from the breeder, then our vet gave her the 2nd set three weeks later. Then again three weeks later we got the 3rd set of shots. That was 2 weeks ago. Is she protected against sicknesses? She isn't quite 4 months old yet, and she's only been around our other dogs. I don't want to let anyone or animal around her because I'm so paranoid of her getting something. Any thoughts on this subject?

Is my puppy protected with 3 sets of shots? General Dog Discussions
    • she needs three distemper and one rabies which is given at 3 months, so i would say that she's covered. you should probably call your vet to double check that she's had her rabies shot, they should have given you a certificate and a rabies tag. i would suggest getting kennel cough as well.

• It's hard to give a simple answer to your question without more information, especially what your pet has been vaccinated against.A typical protocol I like to see:6 weeks - a "combo" vaccine that includes Distemper and Parvo as well as several other diseases9 weeks - combo and intranasal bordatella vaccines12 weeks - combo, intranasal bordatella, 4 way lepto vaccines15-16 weeks - combo vaccine, 4 way lepto, and rabies vaccinesIf the puppy is older when vaccines are started, he/she might get fewer boosters. Rabies can be given as young as 12 weeks in dogs, but many vets like to wait and give it on the last visit (to break up the number of vaccines being given at any given time and to encourage owners to complete the entire series)Regarding protection, the biggest threat to most puppies is Parvo. I would recommend an additional booser, but vaccines are much better at providing protection sooner now than they were 10-15 years ago, and I would feel fairly safe about letting her around other animals and people. Socialization is very important at this age and the more variety of experiences she has, especially contact with strangers, the better off she will be later in life.