How can I get rid of my dog's dandruff?

I have a black miniature schnauzer, and he has extremely dry skin. I live in a dry climate (New Mexico), and all you see over his shiny black coat is a bunch of white flakes. I've tried using the dry skin dog shampoo, but it doesn't seem to be working.…

I have a black miniature schnauzer, and he has extremely dry skin. I live in a dry climate (New Mexico), and all you see over his shiny black coat is a bunch of white flakes. I've tried using the dry skin dog shampoo, but it doesn't seem to be working.…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get rid of my dog's dandruff?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get rid of my dog's dandruff?

How can I get rid of my dog's dandruff? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a black miniature schnauzer, and he has extremely dry skin. I live in a dry climate (New Mexico), and all you see over his shiny black coat is a bunch of white flakes. I've tried using the dry skin dog shampoo, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

How can I get rid of my dog's dandruff? Other Pet Discussions
    • Switch to a dog food high in omega fatty acids, or you can give him fish oil tables that you can buy at walmart. they are about $8.00 for the biggest container. Or can give your dog canned salmon every other day or so.

• I have a silver schnauzer and his skin is the exact same. It's really a sign of BAD dry skin..so you should probably buy a shampoo that is specifically for dry skin. O and brush the dog every day. Aren't schnauzer dogs just the best!!??

• It is very likely seborrhea which is actually an overproduction of oil which clogs pores and the skin doesn't slough properly, not dry skin. They make medicated dog shampoos for this condition, but human shampoos for seborrhea also work. You can find them near the dandruff shampoos. You will notice a difference very quickly and will improve with every shampoo.

• Try switching to a higher quality dog food. I use Canidae and it's supposed to help with skin and coat. Both of my dogs have beautiful shiny soft coats. www.canidae.comCANIDAE® All Life Stage formula is formulated to meet the AAFCO Dog Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.Benefits:Four Human Grade Meats – Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Fish 10 Natural Skin & Coat Conditioners Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics and Superior Digestibility Guaranteed Enzyme Activity Antioxidant Vitamins & Amino Acid Chelated Minerals Excellent for Problem Skin & Allergies Holistic & Herbal Benefits Formulated for All Life Stages – Puppies, Adults, Seniors & Overweight Excellent Palatability - Dogs Love CANIDAE® You should check out their website and read the testimonials...there are lots of pictures that people have sent in before and after of their dogs with skin issues.Other than that...talk to your vet.

• A diet high in Omega 3 fatty acids. You can get this from Fish Oil, Flax Oil, etc. You can buy fish oil in liquid or capsule form. Don't shampoo your dog too frequently, because it makes the dry skin worse, and when you do shampoo, use a pet shampoo specifically designed to be gentle on skin.