What kind of scorpion can i get from an average pet store?

I prefer it to be a desert scorpion. I need this information for a class project(7th graders). We are are thinking about getting a pet scorpion or lizard. I have the information i need for the lizard, I just need any scorpion info you can give me. Thank…

I prefer it to be a desert scorpion. I need this information for a class project(7th graders). We are are thinking about getting a pet scorpion or lizard. I have the information i need for the lizard, I just need any scorpion info you can give me. Thank…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What kind of scorpion can i get from an average pet store?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What kind of scorpion can i get from an average pet store?

What kind of scorpion can i get from an average pet store? Other Pet Discussions
      I prefer it to be a desert scorpion. I need this information for a class project(7th graders). We are are thinking about getting a pet scorpion or lizard. I have the information i need for the lizard, I just need any scorpion info you can give me. Thank you!

What kind of scorpion can i get from an average pet store? Other Pet Discussions
    • ummm... no you most likely you will no be able to find a scorpion at a normal pet store and this is due to the fact that they are venomous, the only way of getting a scorpion would be ordering it online most likely.

• Many pet stores do infact carry scorpions. They are usually found in the reptile section. Yes scorpions are venemous but the bigger they are the less venomous they are. The sting isn't any worse then that of a bee. They're kept much in the same way as reptiles so the habitat could be shared by both if divided properly.

• Normal pet stores will carry simple scorpions, usually. The least venomous and most docile scorpion which is very common is the Emperor. They are very large, but are not very venomous, their venom is about the rating of a bee sting if not less most of the time (unless you are unfortunately allergic).The other more common ones you will see will be chinese armored scorpions. These I do not recommend for a first... Getting stung by one is painful, period. Many of the desert scorpions are difficult to find at a regular pet store but can be specially ordered online and by some pet stores if they have a hookup, but not all do. Either way, an emperor is a safer bet for a first scorpion. Not to mention, for a first scorpion you get to own one of the largest species of scorpions on the planet, they are very interesting little (errr... big..) scorpions.The thing you will want to keep in mind with something like an emperor is to ensure that it has a proper habitat. Emperor scorpions need good soil, and actually prefer coconut fiber (it's soft, keeps moisture and makes it easy for them to burrow), I mix my emperor habitats with soft soil and coconut fiber.You can get emperors very easily from the store from around $10-20. The thing to remember about an emperor is that they are one of THE MOST DOCILE scorpions out there. I used to hold mine now and then. I don't anymore because it's far too stressful on the little guys, but out of the many scorpions that are somewhat safe to handle, the emperor is one of them. Again, it creates a lot of stress for them, so it is not recommended to handle them.You will want a good heat lamp, around 50-60watt bulb so you can keep the humidity around 70-80% and the heat around 75-80F this is where they THRIVE. Easiest way to keep the humidity up is just pour water directly on the substrate (the surface of his habitat). Keep a filled water dish for them (they love to drink and bathe) and keep a hide for them (something like a little half bark cover you can get at the store).You can get these at places like PETCO and your average petstore, if they don't directly carry them, many can order them for you if you ask. The emperor scorpions are not a high liability like some rare scorpions, are quite common, not deadly with very light venom. Just keep in mind if you do not know if you are allergic to take caution in owning ANY PET that has venom involved. If anything an emperor will give you a love pinch first (mine did once or twice, but never stung me). They will eat once a week or once every other week depending on their appetite, behavior and how big they are. My previous one was about every other week, my bigger one will eat 2 or 3 crickets once a week.I recommend keeping something like this because once you have the habitat setup it is not difficult to maintain. They are safe, and they can live for up to 8 years if well taken care of.Other scorpions are more difficult to maintain and setup. You also need to keep in mind some of the others, such as a Vaejovid family which are small and aggressive will carry more venom, hurt, and if you are allergic cause issues. Other more experienced keepers will keep "LQs" Leiurus Quinquestriatus (The Israeli Deathstalker) which has potent enough venom to either send you to the hospital, or kill you, depending on your immune system and tolerance for the concoction of venom it carries... They are also very aggressive, very fast, and should be treated with insane amounts of care.For your first an emperor is a great bet, and the "Gateway drug" of scorpions, so to speak, for many keepers. They are fascinating creatures. I have been keeping many different scorpions over the years and still love my emperors. I will link you to some wonderful sites below for them.Good luck on your first scorp if you go that route! :)