what should I do if there is dried blood in one of my 10 month pitbulls ear?

I've been realizing that my dog has been scratching his one ear with his paw here and there about 3-4 times a week. Didn't think anything of it really and I looked yesterday and about half way into the ear there is dried blood around the ear canal but…

I've been realizing that my dog has been scratching his one ear with his paw here and there about 3-4 times a week. Didn't think anything of it really and I looked yesterday and about half way into the ear there is dried blood around the ear canal but…...
    General Dog Discussions : what should I do if there is dried blood in one of my 10 month pitbulls ear?...

• what should I do if there is dried blood in one of my 10 month pitbulls ear?

what should I do if there is dried blood in one of my 10 month pitbulls ear? General Dog Discussions
      I've been realizing that my dog has been scratching his one ear with his paw here and there about 3-4 times a week. Didn't think anything of it really and I looked yesterday and about half way into the ear there is dried blood around the ear canal but barely any visible on the sides of his ear. Any in-home suggestions before i visit a vet? Or any idea of what this could be?

what should I do if there is dried blood in one of my 10 month pitbulls ear? General Dog Discussions
    • he could have ear mites and from him scratching it could have irritated it. try looking up things on the internet about it, and call your vet, tell him whats going on, and he may have an answer for you right over the phone.

• Clean his ears with vinegar and water. Do not use q-tips only cotton balls. A dog scratches at their ears from infection or ear mites, or they just have an itch, but cant tell easily without a vet doing a swab and stain, unless you know what you are looking for. It can be bacterial, yeast or mites. (or just an itch, but this is after all the other are ruled out) If the cotton ball is coming out clean it is most likely an itch. If its coming out dirty- redish nasty color (other then the blood being cleaned from the scratch)- smelly- specks then you have some type of problem. Mites can be cured with ear drops from the pet store. Yeast can be with ear cleaning with the vinegar and water. If its bacterial then the dog needs antibiotic drops for his ears. If none of the above the dog may just have itchy ears! There are ear cleaning solutions at the pet stores that keep dogs ears dry and helps alleviate itching and irritation.