my dog keeps gagging but nothing comes out?

she is a 3 year old black lab and for the past 2 days she keeps gagging like she gonna throw up but nothing ever comes out. im starting to get worried. if i ask my parents to take her to the vet most likely they will say no. what could be the problem?…

she is a 3 year old black lab and for the past 2 days she keeps gagging like she gonna throw up but nothing ever comes out. im starting to get worried. if i ask my parents to take her to the vet most likely they will say no. what could be the problem?…...
    General Dog Discussions : my dog keeps gagging but nothing comes out?...

• my dog keeps gagging but nothing comes out?

my dog keeps gagging but nothing comes out? General Dog Discussions
      she is a 3 year old black lab and for the past 2 days she keeps gagging like she gonna throw up but nothing ever comes out. im starting to get worried. if i ask my parents to take her to the vet most likely they will say no. what could be the problem? she hasnt had any bones or any toys for a few days so it couldnt be that. please help

my dog keeps gagging but nothing comes out? General Dog Discussions
    • There may be an infection or an object that is irritating the pharynx in the throat. Is she coughing? because dogs with kennel cough will often gag and cough.Anything that causes alot of mucus like viral infections or allergies also can cause gagging.Also a collar that is too tight will cause gagging.the vet is prolly your best bet! CONVINCE YOUR PARENTS!!!

• I woulds recommend changing your dogs diet and seeing if that helps.. also try sticking carrots in its food to help solidify the food and help with digestion... I Hope that your dog gets better. :)

• what do you mean your parents will not take your dog to the vet that's disgusting its a living thing it has got to go to the vet it could have something stuck in its throat your parents wont reporting you just cant leave this dog...

• From experience with my dogs something is stuck in her throat..is she able to eat? Old fashion method is to give bread and it may help what is lodged in her throat down. Have you spoken to your parents about this as a trip to the vet might be in order..they may have to have a look in her throat to see if something is lodged into her esphophagus. Good Luck

• She may have something caught in her throat. My dog was gagging a lot the other day. When it yawned, I noticed a piece of plastic that was stuck to the back of his throat. Pulled it out, and the gagging stopped.Take a look down his throat. If you can't see anything and he continues to gag, take him to the vet.

• Another way to check for kennel cough is to gently rub on her throat...sort of in the area of the voice box (or bark box) and if that stimulates the gagging or coughing, then that is generally a very good indicator that your pup does indeed have kennel cough. Antibiotics are needed to help treat it and make it go away.If that does not cause her to gag/cough, I would be concerned about heart issues. Some dogs that have fluid around the heart (congestive hear failure) or even heartworms will have this type of symptom, especially upon exertion. An x-ray can generally show heart abnormalities although an ultrasound is better, and a simple blood test can show if your dog is positive for heartworm disease. Either of these are very serious conditions if they are to this point already. If she's been on monthly heartworm preventative, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about with that. As young as she is, if she's not horribly overweight and doesn't have any unforeseen genetic predisposition or heart birth defect, I wouldn't suspect this either as a first guess. Without getting her in to a Vet to be properly examined, it will be hard to tell.

• Don't panick too much, i have a black lab and recently have had this problem.~ The collar could be too tight, make sure you can at least fir like two or so of your fingers between the collar and your dogs neck.~ your dog could just be coughing which is ok.~ your dog might need some water~ if nothing helps you NEED to bring her to the vet especially if she is changing her routine and/or she is acting differently