How has breeding dogs had a positive effect on their welfare?

Im doing a project at college and i need to talk about the positive and negative effects that breeding has had on the dogs welfare. Ive done the negative but im struggling to find out any information on how it has helped them. Thanks

Im doing a project at college and i need to talk about the positive and negative effects that breeding has had on the dogs welfare. Ive done the negative but im struggling to find out any information on how it has helped them. Thanks...
    General Dog Discussions : How has breeding dogs had a positive effect on their welfare?...

• How has breeding dogs had a positive effect on their welfare?

How has breeding dogs had a positive effect on their welfare? General Dog Discussions
      Im doing a project at college and i need to talk about the positive and negative effects that breeding has had on the dogs welfare. Ive done the negative but im struggling to find out any information on how it has helped them. Thanks

How has breeding dogs had a positive effect on their welfare? General Dog Discussions
    • Other than continuing the breed and improving it (with selecting for healthier examples), there is no positive effect of just breeding dogs.It makes more of them, that's it.if you select exceptionally healthy dogs, you get healthy puppies....most of the time.

• One positive is that reputable breeders have worked hard to do genetic screening of their dogs prior to breeding and in many cases reduced the amount of disease or genetically caused problems. More tests are available today than there used to be. When OFA Orthopedic Foundation for Animals started (to screen for hip dysplasia) the incident rates in many breeds was much higher, than it is now. Many breed clubs insist or heavily encourage all breeders to check stock. (My national club & the club magazine) will not accept ads from anyone who has not done screening of hips) & the rates of hip dysplasia in screened dogs has declined. The OFA now certifies and lists healthy dogs on a number of health issues, when they're tested by a trained vet. We now have a better method, for determining hip dysplasia (than just an x-ray) known as Penn-hip & it will do any even better job.The AKC will offer you a special CHIC number (shows up on AKC pedigrees) if you get your dog's hips screened & an eye & thyroid exam, all within one year.