what do i do about my 7month old shih-tzu's constant biting?

i left my puppy in a car for about 45 minutes with the windows down. he got dehydrated, so we brought him to a nearby hospital. in the hospital, he stayed overnight with iv fluid and shots and sugar to raise blood sugar levels and other medicine. in the…

i left my puppy in a car for about 45 minutes with the windows down. he got dehydrated, so we brought him to a nearby hospital. in the hospital, he stayed overnight with iv fluid and shots and sugar to raise blood sugar levels and other medicine. in the…...
    General Dog Discussions : what do i do about my 7month old shih-tzu's constant biting?...

• what do i do about my 7month old shih-tzu's constant biting?

what do i do about my 7month old shih-tzu's constant biting? General Dog Discussions
      i left my puppy in a car for about 45 minutes with the windows down. he got dehydrated, so we brought him to a nearby hospital. in the hospital, he stayed overnight with iv fluid and shots and sugar to raise blood sugar levels and other medicine. in the morning he looked better and could walk and jog. now he's doing all of his normal activities. except that he's biting more. not hard, but it gets annoying. i think he's playing because everytime he tries to bite my hand or foot he's wagging his tail. what should i do?

what do i do about my 7month old shih-tzu's constant biting? General Dog Discussions
    • First off, let me reiterate what your vet already told you... NEVER EVER leave your dog in the car when it's remotely warm out! On an 80-degree day, even with the windows rolled all the way down, it can skyrocket above 100 in mere minutes. If you love your dog you won't do it again. And an overnight stay, with IV fluids, is MUCH more serious than "he got dehydrated". You're lucky he made out as well as he did. Working for the SPCA, I've pulled so many dead and near-death dogs out of cars in the summer, it would make your head spin. Don't become a statistic!But on to your question...Chances are, he's teething. 7 months is average. When he bites, hold his mouth shut (an act of dominance, to him), and firmly tell him "no". It probably IS just play. If you use a chew deterrant (like bitter apple) for your woodwork, or anything else he's not supposed to be chewing, spray some on your hands when you play with him. He'll get the idea. Also, don't ever let him get away with it. Everything's either "always okay" or "never okay". Leaving no "gray area" means he'll learn faster because you're being more consistant. Best of Luck!

• he is playing dogs play alittle rough. You could get another dog for him to play with or when he does bit put a leash on him and make him sit when he does it again take a news paper and pop him in the nose. It won't hurt him also tell him no so he knowsnot to do that.

• OK dogs need 3 things in this order: 1st They need obedience, 2nd they need their food and energy taken care of, and finally they need love.your dog is still a puppy. dogs are pack animals and need to learn their place in the pack. 1st treat the pup like he is in the pack every time he bites, I hate to say it bite him back, NOT HARD just nibble on his ears (they are very sensitive and he will get the point). Also, discipline harshly you can always go softer later start hard and you will end up with a great dog.P.S. never change your punishment routine. For me I have a bulldog, 1st I yell, 2nd I stand up, 3rd (if it makes it this far) he gets a hit (not hard just enough so he gets the point).