What was wrong with the bone?

So yesterday my dad got this bone from a grocery store that was meant for dogs. My dog ate it and the shards got stuck in her colon so she can't poo and it ripped up her colon a bit. She was also vomiting. We took her to the vet but they could only…

So yesterday my dad got this bone from a grocery store that was meant for dogs. My dog ate it and the shards got stuck in her colon so she can't poo and it ripped up her colon a bit. She was also vomiting. We took her to the vet but they could only…...
    General Dog Discussions : What was wrong with the bone?...

• What was wrong with the bone?

What was wrong with the bone? General Dog Discussions
      So yesterday my dad got this bone from a grocery store that was meant for dogs. My dog ate it and the shards got stuck in her colon so she can't poo and it ripped up her colon a bit. She was also vomiting. We took her to the vet but they could only get a little out, but she will gradually get better.What do you think was wrong with the bone? I would like to know this so I don't make that mistake.To the min...whatever....it was my dad not me...and it may have been a shelf product for dogs not something from the meat section

What was wrong with the bone? General Dog Discussions
    • some dogs cannot eat bones well, especially if they are on a highly commercial diet of kibble or cans.Large thick bones like leg bones should be avoided. Try something lick chicken necks, wings, carcasses, turkey necks, etc but not for a few months! Your dogs intestines need to heal before trying bones again. Edible bones that are soft and RAW are best but be very careful if your dog has had this reaction to them.

• Old bones or bones that have been frozen or cooked will splinter. Very fresh raw bones are safer. You don't have to give bones to your dog at all. Definitely don't give her any until she is all well again. Fresh, raw turkey or chicken necks are beloved by most dogs.