i need some ideas of brain games or low impact activities for my dog?

my dog has been diagnosed with having heart worms. (even though we did have him on a preventative). we are doing the slow kill treatment which is the 3 months of medications before the injections. he is no longer able to run and exert himself and we are…

my dog has been diagnosed with having heart worms. (even though we did have him on a preventative). we are doing the slow kill treatment which is the 3 months of medications before the injections. he is no longer able to run and exert himself and we are…...
    General Dog Discussions : i need some ideas of brain games or low impact activities for my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i need some ideas of brain games or low impact activities for my dog?

i need some ideas of brain games or low impact activities for my dog? General Dog Discussions
      my dog has been diagnosed with having heart worms. (even though we did have him on a preventative). we are doing the slow kill treatment which is the 3 months of medications before the injections. he is no longer able to run and exert himself and we are one month into the pill cycle. im wondering if anyone has any good ideas of activities or games that involve little exertion. he is 2 yrs old and has begun acting out and getting into things because he has so much pent up energy and boredom. we have tried new toys, but the "new" quickly wears off. i do not want to have to crate him while we are not home because that makes him even more anxious.thank you for your ideas! we got him as a rescue last year and they believe that he had gotten heart worms before we got him and perhaps they were not mature to be detected in his initial testing. he is a very high energy terrier mix. he will be very into an activity then is bored very quickly. we have learned 2 new tricks this month, and introduced a few new toys.

i need some ideas of brain games or low impact activities for my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Try scenting games. It can be done in the home and it's low impact. Teach him how to find a treat or toy in different places in the home.Look into K9Noseworks.edit: Please don't listen to Alisha...listen to your vet. I'm sorry your dog has heartworm and I know it can happen even when they are on preventative.

• Yes, you can teach him simple things like stick his tongue out, wag his tail, move a paw, flick an ear, speak, etc. with a clicker (or use the word Yes! or a click sound you make with your mouth as an event marker). These aren't particularly useful things but it will give him something to do and to help keep his mind occupied. Find sedentary things for him to do. Most dogs like to lay down and gnaw on a big meaty "soup bone" you can get at the grocery store.Spend time brushing him each day, even if he doesn't need it. It will stimulate his skin and feel good.Teach Sit and (lay) Down and Stand. These don't take much movement on the dog's part.If you have any doubts or concerns, just ask your vet if it is okay before you begin.If you don't know how to clicker train, there are lots of good how-to videos on You Tube.

• Scenting games was going to be my suggestion as well.Hide treats in places he's allowed to go and have him find them. You can even put them under a lightweight cardboard box or other object so he has to tip it up to get the treat - they catch on fast! Or have him navigate a homemade "maze" and ring a bell following a scent trail - that works as well :pPeanut butter coated kibble inside a Kong can be a wonderful long occupation as well :p