How long does it take for a flesh injury on a dog's leg to heal?

One day when I was out, my shiba inu attempted to jump over the kitchen fence, resulting in his leg being caught. The wound was about 2-3 inches. He refused to walk and we took him to the vet to check for other injuries. Nothing was broken, but its been…

One day when I was out, my shiba inu attempted to jump over the kitchen fence, resulting in his leg being caught. The wound was about 2-3 inches. He refused to walk and we took him to the vet to check for other injuries. Nothing was broken, but its been…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long does it take for a flesh injury on a dog's leg to heal?...

• How long does it take for a flesh injury on a dog's leg to heal?

How long does it take for a flesh injury on a dog's leg to heal? General Dog Discussions
      One day when I was out, my shiba inu attempted to jump over the kitchen fence, resulting in his leg being caught. The wound was about 2-3 inches. He refused to walk and we took him to the vet to check for other injuries. Nothing was broken, but its been a week and puss still oozes out, and he still refuses to let that leg touch the ground, preferring to "hop" around. Is that normal? And, if so, how long does it take for the wound to heal?

How long does it take for a flesh injury on a dog's leg to heal? General Dog Discussions
    • It's not good that pus is present. If not already done so ask your vet for a week of antibiotic tablets to keep the infection under control. How long to heal depends upon the infection, whether the edges are close together, whether the dog licks it or not. I'd say 2-3 weeks after granulation and scab formation commence. When the wound is infection free you can put some Aloe Vera sap on the wound (cut off a leaf and squeeze out the sap directly onto the cut or buy it from a pharmacy or supermaket department). Aloe Vera in my xepereince speeds granulation and healing by some 3-4 days. With leg wounds you want to let air get around it but not let it get dirty or scraped again. I've often used a girl's sock (they are longer) with the toe cut off.

• your dog needs to be taken back to the vets if it has a wound that is a week old and oozing puss is not normal no wonder the dog won't use the leg you dog should be having the woulod cleaned daily and should be on antibiotic for the infection the dog has