A bunch of questions for dog owners?

I've had a Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix) for almost 2 years now since she was a itty bitty thing. She's my first dog and since I'm still new at this I have some questions....(and if you could number your answers it would help too)1. Do all dogs snore? She's…

I've had a Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix) for almost 2 years now since she was a itty bitty thing. She's my first dog and since I'm still new at this I have some questions....(and if you could number your answers it would help too)1. Do all dogs snore? She's…...
    General Dog Discussions : A bunch of questions for dog owners?...

• A bunch of questions for dog owners?

A bunch of questions for dog owners? General Dog Discussions
      I've had a Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix) for almost 2 years now since she was a itty bitty thing. She's my first dog and since I'm still new at this I have some questions....(and if you could number your answers it would help too)1. Do all dogs snore? She's really loud sometimes.2. Do all dogs at some point in thier lives have to have their glands pressed (or whatever it's called)? 3. My friend has 5 dogs, 4 of them trim their own nails by nibbling them. Is this something that can be taught?4. How old do they generally live to be?5. She run laps around the coffe table every night before bed. Is this something she will someday grow out of? (I hope not, it's hilarious)6. How do you transition a dog from being in a kennel when you're gone to being out in the apartment. Is it too early? I tried once leaving her in the bedroom when I went fishing but she opened my hubby's tums, took the sheets off the bed and threw up peppermint tums everywhere.7. How do you get a dog to just chill out around people or does this go away with age?8. She licked a toad the other night and if my hubby wasn't there to tell me the foam was normal and she'd be oky I probably would've taken her to an animal hospital freaking out. Is there any other things like this I should know about?Sorry for all the questions, I just really love her and don't ever want anything bad to happen to her. Thank you.

A bunch of questions for dog owners? General Dog Discussions
    • Hi!1. No. All dogs don't snore. Some dogs do and some don't. That's nothing to worry about as long as she is healthy and breathing.2. I don't know. But it is expressing their anal glands-I work in a vet's office and the vet usually does it on older dogs.3. I don't think it can be taught, but I check my puppy's nails to make sure she hasn't cracked them or anything like that.4. Dog age varies. Smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs.5. I don't know. My puppy runs laps around her swimming pool before she jumps in. It's just something she does. I hope she doesn't grow out of it b/c it is cute. : )6. Sorry, I don't know this one either-I've never had to do it.7. Lots and lots and lots of socialization. (a lot of treats worked with my puppy, but she still gets agitated at some people, but we have to keep working on that)8. Sorry, I don't know this one either.

• 1. I have no idea, mine do sometimes when they're really tired., like people do sometimes.2. No idea what that means O_o3. I've never seen my dogs do that, but my Labs have never had long nail problems. My basset's nails are beyond long but shes very very difficult to handle, i wish she'd nibble at her own nails.4. Depends on size and breed. Smaller dogs live longer then older dogs. My lab died at 13, my dachshund could live to be around 20.5. Shes just letting some energy go, my mom's dog does that all the time, most dogs just run around in circles when they're really happy. and it can continue on into adulthood, but sometimes when they reach 2-4 years old, they begin to mellow out and calm down.6. Leave her out short periods at a time and ignore her, let her go around doing stuff herself. Increase the time little by little. You also need to keep dangerous stuff out of her reach; make she can't get into anything you don't want her to.7. Some dogs can grow out of it, some dogs have to be taught. There are some dogs (like my moms stupid dog XP) that are very very difficult to socialize and get used to seeing new people without trying to maul them. Some dogs are just born with a "I love everyone" thing and get along with most dogs and people. Try taking her out to the same places often around the same people and dogs till she gets comfy and then do it around a different group of dogs or people untill she no longer is stressed out about meeting new people/other dogs.8. Its just a toad, dont worry. Always check to see what shes licking and learn about all the poisonous frogs and creatures in your area and know what they look like. If you didnt see, try googling poison symptoms for dogs to learn so you can recognize if she ever is poisoned

• 1. Pugs and all the shorter nosed breeds tend to snore. Other dogs can also snore, but dogs like bulldogs, boxers, pekignese and pugs are more likely to. 2. Not all dogs need their anal glands expressed. Many of the smaller ones do though. Your groomer or vet may be able to show you how. It's a bit gross though. 3. Nope, better to just trim them yourself. You can get something like a Dremel to keep them ground down. That way you only take off a little at a time. 4.Depends on the individual dog and genetics. Smaller dogs do tend to live longer with life spans in the 13-17 year range.5. She may, especially when she becomes much older. Though, my boxer always ran laps around the yard up until he died.6. Some dogs can never be loose in the house unsupervised. Mine are at the point now where I just babygate them in one room where they can't get into anything while I'm at work. Nothing worse then coming home and finding your dogs eaten a spool of yarn and needs emergency surgery.

• 1. no - but most due. 2. no 3. no - buy a dog nail clippers, just be careful4.the small dogs 10 to 20 years, large breeds 8 to 10 years5. maybe - maybe not6. very small amounts of time left alone, increase time slowly.7.train them.8 dogs like to eat rotten thing (ie. cat turds, frozen dog turds, dead critters, rotten food. They also like to roll in rotten things.Having a dog is like having a child. Care for them and give them toys for entertainment.

• 1. mine does2. i don't know what that is.3. i doubt it. groomer does mines nails. just trims. he's a he.4. depends on breed and other factors, such as spate/neutered, weight, and other things. small breeds as a rule live longer than big breeds.5. prbably not although she may slow down6. patience is a virtue. her behavior will get better when left alone but i could not say what are good training techniques. i take my dog with me anytime possible.

• 1. yes dogs snore, its ok2. yes, the anal glands should be pressed or they can build up and get really stinky...and uncomfortable for your dog3. not sure, but its easy to trim nails ask your vet to show you the proper way...if you cut too short you will cut the quick and it will bleed and it hurts the dog4. depends on the breed....most small dogs live 10-14 years... some longer5.she is just burning off that last little bit of energy she has, she may out grow it, but she may not6.you will have to keep doing experiments on her, leave her out for a few hours, and reward her if she is good, but do make a fuss if she makes a mess. shes still a baby and it will take time,,,,gradually work up the time alone out of the kennel and she will do better7.you will have to correct her when she starts to jump on your guests, rewards are great trainers. when you tell her 'NO' when she approaches your guests and she listens give her a treat. it takes time, but some dogs are just happy more people are around...they just want to greet them at the door like you do8.Some toads are poisonus, and dogs can go into an allergic reaction to it. where their throat will swell shut. I would call your vet and talk to them about it. a friend of mine was outside with her yorkie and he picked up a small toad in his mouth and then spit it out. we all laughed as the toad hopped away, later that night little Yoda was gasping for air. She called the Vet and he said to bring him in. He lived, but the toad secreted a poison in Yodas mouth that caused his throat to swell. He gave Yoda bendryl and he got better. So just watch your little angel!! Hope these answers help ya out!!

• 1) not all dogs snore but due to the pushed in face of a pug it's very normal.2) no not all dogs need their anal glands expressed and unless there is a real problem when you take your dog in for her yearly check just ask for it to be done then for safety. Small dogs are worse for this problem.3)it is best for you to clip the nails or to have it done.4)with the breed you have I would say life span would be about 12 years 5) My sisters chihuahua has done that for 12 years now.6)I would do it slowly like try for about 15 minutes for a couple of days then about 1/2 hour for a couple then go to 1 hour then increase hourly. 7) I would go to the library and get books on beagles and pugs and also check teh internet and it will give you a general idea. It's hard with mixes some will take after one breed more and another after the other even from the same litter.

• Lot's of questions....hopefully I can help. I have a Beagle, and my sister has a Pug...I know the traits of both.1) Like people, some do and some do not. My Beagle snores up a storm some nights, and others he is fine. It is normal.2) Certain breads have more issues that others. Cocker SPaniels need them pressed on a regular basis. My Beagle needs it only once in a while - about every 3 months (or if he has an issue - unfortunately, he has cancer, so he has issues that need attention every once in a while). Suggestion - have a groomer look when you get your dog groomed.3) Not to my knowledge. I have had 5 dogs - none of them did this. I always cut them.4) The smaller the dog, the longer the life. I still have a dauschund that is 18 years old. YOu can expect a long life from your Puggle - about 13-15 years on average.5) Dogs will get bursts of energy for no reason - no one can explain why. My Beagle still does this and I love it as well. My dauschund used to do this up until he turned 17.6) Can't offer advice on this - I have never kept my dogs in kennels.7) My experience - at about 2.5 years, dogs chill and become your buddy. Smaller dogs wait a little longer - mayber 3 years - and do not lose all of thier "puppiness". They are just hyper by nature.8) Don't panic about things like that. Other dogs have done worse, and are fine. However, my wife would have rushed any of our dogs to the vet for doing the same thing - they are her children.Hope that helps.

• First of all, there is no such thing as a "puggle". I just want to make that clear. You have a mutt.For your questions, in order:1. Dogs with breathing restrictions, such as your pug mix, snore more than most other breeds. If you had a purebred Pug, you would hear lots more, and if you had a Purebred Beagle, you would hear very little.2. Most dogs never need their glands pressed. My dogs get bathed weekly and have never had to have their anal glands expressed. It depends on the dog, the breed, and the nutrition he is receiving.3. Dogs should not ever nibble on their nails. This means they probably have an allergy or an anxiety problem. You should be clipping your mutts' nails weekly because both of his breeds are prone to long nails that do not file themselves.My dogs never need nail trimmings because they are extremely active and their nails file themselves on the concrete outdoors.4. Beagles can live to 12 years easily, and Pugs up to 14, with good health care and nutrition. Both breeds are prone to many many genetic health disorders, and I am willing to bet your breeder, a wreckless, backyard breeder, did not do any of the required health screenings/certs before breeding your mutt. A genetic disorder can shorten any dog's life.5. Your dog has the puppy Zoomies. She is also a high energy dog, being the Beagle who always wants to hunt, yet also the Pug who wants to be lazy most of the time. Your dog is most likely terribly confused. This is the problem with the new trend of breeding designer dogs...6. If your dog is housetrained and gets proper exercise as well as playtime, she should not be tearing up your home. She probably is trying to listen to the Beagle in her, wanting to go hunting and following her nose, but she is confused.Mixing those two breeds is a terrible idea!!7. And again, she may never "chill" out, because she is a very confused mixed breed. You cannot blame her. And, yes, she is a puppy still, so give her some more exercise, walks, playtime, and some more training, and she may be fine, someday.1. Do all dogs snore? She's really loud sometimes.2. Do all dogs at some point in thier lives have to have their glands pressed (or whatever it's called)? 3. My friend has 5 dogs, 4 of them trim their own nails by nibbling them. Is this something that can be taught?4. How old do they generally live to be?5. She run laps around the coffe table every night before bed. Is this something she will someday grow out of? (I hope not, it's hilarious)6. How do you transition a dog from being in a kennel when you're gone to being out in the apartment. Is it too early? I tried once leaving her in the bedroom when I went fishing but she opened my hubby's tums, took the sheets off the bed and threw up peppermint tums everywhere. Additional Details7 minutes ago7. How do you get a dog to just chill out around people or does this go away with age?8. She licked a toad the other night and if my hubby wasn't there to tell me the foam was normal and she'd be oky I probably would've taken her to an animal hospital freaking out. Is there any other things like this I should know about?

• Ok, a lot of her behavior stems from the 2 breeds she is mixed with (please tell me you didn't pay an outrageous price tag for her!) Anyway....1) No, not all dogs snore. Pugs and dog breeds like her (Boxers, Boston Terriers, French Bulldogs, etc) are very prone to snoring because of the shape of their snouts. You can research this online.2) Some dogs naturally express their glands, some have to have it done, talk to you vet about this.3) A dog should never nibble on their nails, that is strange behavior, you need to buy some good nail clippers and clip her nails yourself, do about once a month and they will be fine, it's not hard at all.4) Pugs and Beagles generally live to be around 15 or so. 5) Sounds like that is just part of her being her, I'd take pictures or video, sounds adorable!!!6) Sounds like she can't be trusted out of her crate while gone. Beagles are hounds, hounds tend to let their noses get them into trouble, if you want to give her extra room while keeping her safe and your clean apartment and sanity intact, I would get a ex-pen, or even 2 and link them together. You can find great deals on them on ebay or try Jeffers Pet.7) Her 2 breeds are energetic, so that is what she is. She is wanting attention when she does stuff like that. Teach her (from a strangers view point) that she does not get petted or attention until she settles down and is a good girl.8) hhmm, some toads are poisonous. If she is ok now I wouldn't worry about it, but if she gets runny stool, lathargic, etc i would call the vet to see what they say.

• 1. no not all humans do either2.what?3.you can't teach a dog to bite its nails... it should do it naturally by walking outside... going for walks maybe???4. depends on the size5. i hope not too sounds cute6. don't do it till you trust it.

• 1] ive got three dogs and they all snore usually in unison2]mine have never had there anal glands expressed but a friend of mines dog has to be done on a regular basis 3]mine nibble there claws to trim them but more so if they have any rough edges cos walking them will also keep the claws shorter 4]depends on the size and breed of dog 5]if shes still young but my guess would be shell keep running round the coffee table before bed she might just get slower the older she gets6]i havent had to do this as whatever they got up to while i was out i had to clear up behind them as i live in a top floor flat but i would say that its not to early to start taking her from kennel o the apartment all you can do is try