How do I cure my dog's separation anxiety?

I already have another dog, yet he still howls and cries when I leave the house. This has been going on for years now! I've tried prescriptions from my vet but still no success.

I already have another dog, yet he still howls and cries when I leave the house. This has been going on for years now! I've tried prescriptions from my vet but still no success....
    General Dog Discussions : How do I cure my dog's separation anxiety?...

• How do I cure my dog's separation anxiety?

How do I cure my dog's separation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
      I already have another dog, yet he still howls and cries when I leave the house. This has been going on for years now! I've tried prescriptions from my vet but still no success.

How do I cure my dog's separation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
    • Oh boy, this brings back some not-so-fond memories....My suggestions are: 1. don't make it obvious you are leaving (most important)2. leave a radio on to a talk station or an all-news channel on the tv3. leave treats around the house for him to find to keep him occupied4. get the Nylabone Healthy Edibles for him to munch on & give just prior to leaving to distract him5. use real beef bones (4-5 inches long), fill them with Kong Paste or something similar, freeze 'em, and give them just before you leave the house to keep the dog distracted & occupied.If he's not destructive while you are gone, relax and don't worry about it. A lot of times it's the owner who induces the anxiety by making a production when leaving. I learned this the hard way....and my dog ended up being very destructive. But she was always worth every bit of craziness. When she died I had to get two dogs to help fill the void.