Would an Akita make a good Search and Rescue dog?

I'm looking into joining the local K-9 Search and Rescue team as a handler. Akita are my favorite breed, but I'm not sure if they would make a good SAR dog. And if they wouldn't, what breed would you suggest? Information/opinions are much appreciated.

I'm looking into joining the local K-9 Search and Rescue team as a handler. Akita are my favorite breed, but I'm not sure if they would make a good SAR dog. And if they wouldn't, what breed would you suggest? Information/opinions are much appreciated....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would an Akita make a good Search and Rescue dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would an Akita make a good Search and Rescue dog?

Would an Akita make a good Search and Rescue dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm looking into joining the local K-9 Search and Rescue team as a handler. Akita are my favorite breed, but I'm not sure if they would make a good SAR dog. And if they wouldn't, what breed would you suggest? Information/opinions are much appreciated.

Would an Akita make a good Search and Rescue dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I don't see why an Akita wouldn't make an excellent search and rescue dog since they are bred for working. I know they use primarily blood hounds for the tracking because they have higher degree with sense of smell and can go for a long time on the scent trail even if it has disappeared. They are natural born trackers and that is what they are bred for.

• I have not seen one used in SAR but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Common breeds are but not Limited to: Shepards, Border Collies, Aussies, Retrievers, mixed breeds to name a few. The dog' s play drive and willingness to please are big factors. Breeds that were bred to work or sport seem to excel in this area. I have a Golden and she picked it up quickly and has a great work ethic. I would speak to the team's K9 handlers and get input from them before getting a dog. There are different types of scenting such as tracking and air scenting. Do research and contact the SAR team to gather information.Good luck!

• I do a type of SAR - but I recover lost pets, rather than people. You need to pick a breed which has an outstanding sense of smell and a strong work ethic. Sporting, scent hounds & herding breeds, generally do SAR, best. Police often find that dogs with a strong retrieve drive work best for NARC or SAR work, because when they make a find, they get an instant "play reward" of either retrieving or tug of war. If they go to select dogs out of shelters for SAR or narcotics work they test for strong retrieve drive. They prefer a dog who is almost a maniac, one that doesn't make a good pet, for most people. Short coated breeds also tend to work better in hot conditions, both at staying more comfortable (no heat stroke) & being able to do scent work, even when it basically evaporates in hot, dry conditions.Labs, Goldens, Flat Coats, Vizsla, GSD & Border Collies are really high on the list of options, but Bloodhounds have probably the very best noses. The do drool a LOT of the time (yucko!) & I prefer a smarter, more prone to problem-solve, breed. I have found the Weimaraner to be a super working dog for tracking lost people or pets. They have a short, easier care coat, are light colored & therefore less prone to heat stroke, & they love to please their owners & NEED a job, to be happy. They are a high energy, very smart, problem-solving breed, and they are at least somewhat protective, yet are good with most people. They were bred to be a versatile gundog a; pointer, tracker & retriever.