What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?

I have a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im thinking about breeding her. Ive got a friend nearby who has a male of the same colour to father them. However many of my other friends have told me its a lot of work. What i want to know is. What are…

I have a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im thinking about breeding her. Ive got a friend nearby who has a male of the same colour to father them. However many of my other friends have told me its a lot of work. What i want to know is. What are…...
    General Dog Discussions : What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?...

• What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog?

What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and im thinking about breeding her. Ive got a friend nearby who has a male of the same colour to father them. However many of my other friends have told me its a lot of work. What i want to know is. What are the good and bad sides to having puppies.?

What Are The Plus And Bad Sides Of Breeding My Dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Positives are that you make all the money you've ever dreamed about. The negatives are that there are already too many dogs in this world for backyard breeders to get involved with breeding.

• Pros:There really aren't any, unless you are looking to show the dogs.Cons:-A LOT of time, effort, energy, and money-FAR too many dogs in shelters, and you'd be contributing to the over-population of pets-Serious health problems if your dog (or the stud) has any genetic issues that you are unaware of. BOTH should be tested so that they don't pass anything on to the pups-Good breeders DO NOT make a "profit", they often end up in the red.

• I am going to make sure DP, Golden Gal, and Jennifer T see this question. All three have the breeding experiance that can help you decide whether or not this is a decision you want to make.

• STOP RIGHT THERE.Are both dogs at least 2 years of age and OFA certified 'perfect' hips, and elbows? Have both been examined by an experienced veterinarian to look for knee, eye, and jaw defects? If so, are they both perfect? Do you know the lineage of both dogs, and are they born of perfect ancestors?If you can't answer yes to all of these questions, SPAY your dog, please. There are WAY too many irresponsible breeders who just think it's cool to jump right in and get some puppies, and what your clients end up with are luxated patellas, hip displaysia, cataracts, malformed jaws, and so forth. It's not fair to the PUPPIES.After you go through all those questions, if you indeed can honestly answer yes, then get a few guide books on breeding. You will get more answers then you would ever think up questions to.

• its alot of freakin workit depends if you know people who want puppies of that breed then go right ahead but if you don't know anybody why breed her we have so many puppies in shelthers right now because of overbreeding.

• Unless your dog is a show quality dog that has had all the genetic testing unfortunetly I can only think of bad things.It's very expensive. If she needs a c-section that alone can cost $1,000 or more. it is very time consuming especially if the dam does not nurse her pups. Then you will be bottle feeding each pup every 2 hours day and night for a month or so.Risk to dam during whelping. Anyone who breeds their fremale has to be prepared to risk losing her if something goes wrong and you can;t get her to the vet in time.For each pup born one in a shelter dies. To me that is the worst thing of all.Please rethink breeding your girl. Love her as the great companion she is and please have her spayed.

• less both dogs are registered with a reputable kennel club, are at least 2 years of age, have both acquired their championship in the show ring, have both had their hips, eyes, and elbows certified, have both been tested for other health and genetic diseases, and have both been tested for std's they should not be bred.to do so otherwise is irresponsible and unethical and will automatically put you in the back yard breeder club. are you aware that cavaliers can have genetic heart problems? you wouldnt want the pups to potentially have that would you?

• really, i don't see the point of breeding. YOu mhave to help care for the pups (ie: feeding, vet, etc), then god forbids if anything happens during the delivery, that your female doesn't make it. Plus, there are thousands of dogs in shelters, why add to the population? there, In my eyes, are way too many cons than pros in dog breeding.

• besides being lots of work, it's lots of money. if you have quality dogs, both with proven bloolines, you'll want to get them vetted in order to be sure they're healthy. i would suggest you check with licensed breeders to get their in-put.and you'll want to make sure your female is fit enough for pregnancy etc.probably have blood work done for both adult dogs to make sure there won't be any genetic problems that will compound finding suitable homes for 6 - 8 pups.

• Drawbacks To Breeding Your DogBreeds have their own unique issues when it comes to breeding. Below are some of the general concerns that can arise with any breed:· Cost of stud services. For a championship bloodline it can be several hundred or even thousands of dollars to have your female bred to a purebred male.· Potential health risks. There is always the possibility that the female can be injured during breeding, or may develop life-threatening conditions during the pregnancy. Female dogs can die during delivery if they are left unsupervised and there is a complication.· Additional vet expenses. The female may require additional trips to the vet or even help with birthing or whelping the puppies. These vet bills can range between the cost of a check-up to several thousands of dollars depending on the size of the dog and the troubles they experience.· Health issues with the puppies. If there are health issues with the puppies the owner of the female is usually responsible unless there have been other arrangements made prior to the birth. Again, these can be minor or they can be very costly.· Vaccinations and feeding. Not only will the female require more and higher quality feed throughout her pregnancy but the puppies will also require vet visits and high quality food. For the larger breeds the food can be very costly, and for any breed the vaccinations and vet visits are critical and are an additional cost.· Ongoing health issues with the female. Female dogs that have had a litter of puppies are much more likely to develop ovarian and breast cancers than spayed females that have not had a litter.Positive to Breeding Your FemaleThere are positives as well to breeding your female. Helping develop a line of healthy and breed standard puppies is very rewarding. Finding good homes and families for the puppies is a great opportunity to share the breed of your choice with caring and loving individuals.In addition breeding is a way for kennels and breeders to seek to develop championship lines. There is increased awareness of the kennel if one of the puppies becomes a champion dog.For most individuals making money off of puppies is simply not realistic. By the time that you consider the expenses of breeding and caring for the females the price of the puppies does not cover the expenses of raising them. Careful consideration of the options for breeding is important before deciding if this is right for your dog or not.

• It is an enormous amount of work and very expensive to breed correctly, not just having a female and a male tie and produce perfect pups.You need to check the bloodlines of sire and dam and have testing done to rule out congenital diseases and defects on both sides.You need to educate yourself what to expect during pregnancy and at whelping.You need to have enough money for a Csection or any other medical emergency when whelping starts.You need to find good, checked out, homes for the pups once they are weaned.All in all, it is an expensive, time consuming, major responsibility - I cannot imagine why you would even consider doing this unless you have a quality show dog who needs to pass on championship lines.If you want another spaniel, please checkout all the breed rescues and see how many spaniels are out there needing good homes - provide one with a good home if that's what you want - another spaniel.Please think this over, it is serious business, rife with many problems and issues to consider.You sound like a thinking, responsible, dog person - don't breed, adopt another, don't add more to the millions being euthanized in kill shelters every year because there aren't enough homes for them. Even if all goes well, you cannot control where the pups end up during their entire lifetimes - that is why I rescue, because so many, even purebreds, get thrown out to die.Save a life, don't put more at risk.

• http://www.canismajor.com/dog/reason10.html ten reasons to breed... (not what you think)http://www.workingdogs.com/vcnobreed.htm reasons not to breed. PLEASE visit both links... too much to cut and paste and as a vet tech... I beg you to read them. As a rescuer I pray you read them... and as an animal lover I really hope you decide not to breed. The choice is yours, but it affects so many.

• Unless: ...........................................you are a registered breederyou know exactly what you are doingyour breeding dogs have been checked and certificatedyou have homes for your new pupsyou are breeding for the good of the breed standardyou can afford associated fees - vaccinations, care of the dog during pregnancy etcyou are not just doing it for the moneyyou are not just doing it cos puppies are cuteyou are not just doing it cos you heard somewhere it makes your dog a better dog......................................Then there are no positivesDo whats right for your dog and get her spayedAnd before you all say "How do I know that asker is not all of these things"If they were they wouldn't be asking on here

• Breeding your dog is not an inexpensive or easy task if you are seriously planning on making the best possible selection of a male dog. There are serious health considerations with regards to breeding dogs that should be discussed with your vet.Cons: Vet bills, health issues in the puppies and mother along with health risks, vaccinations and feeding (the mother will need high quality nutritious food) always remember that it's not easy to start a litter of puppies and most certainly isn't cheap!Pros: Helping develop a line of healthy and breed standard puppies is very rewarding. Finding good homes and families for the puppies is a great opportunity to share the breed of your choice with caring and loving individuals. (always be sure they are going to good homes) You also have the chance of having a champion dog if you decide to show. For most individuals making money off of puppies is simply not realistic. By the time that you consider the expenses of breeding and caring for the females the price of the puppies does not cover the expenses of raising them. Careful consideration of the options for breeding is important before deciding if this is right for your dog or not.To you people who are commenting or implying she's a BYB, you don't know her life and shouldn't be so quick to judge.

• Breeding dogs can go very, very wrong. Even with your best efforts, you have to realize that pregnancy is dangerous for the dam, especially in small breeds. Your dog actually might die from the pregnancy or its complications. Its important to think about why you are breeding your dog. How do you know that she's a good specimen of the breed? (Cute and good personality don't count, since those are characteristics of the CKC Spaniel anyway) Have both your dog and the possible stud been tested for hereditary diseases? Your chosen breed suffers from two very severe genetic disorders that you'll need to test both dogs for before breeding - mitral valve disease and syringomyelia. If you want to breed for profit, please realize that responsible breeders often lose money when they breed. Many dogs need veterinary intervention to give birth, and that's often more expensive than what you can sell the puppies for. Additionally, you'll have a much larger dog food bill for the 2 months the dog is pregnant and for the 2 months that the puppies live with you. That adds up fast, believe me. Also, you're required to pay for all the medical care for the puppies (including shots and deworming and a check-up by a vet) before they can go to their new homes. Even after she gives birth, there are lots of things that can go wrong and endanger the the mom and the lives of her puppies. If you don't know if you should breed, please talk to your vet. He can inform you of the dangers and also tell you the costs of the pre-pregnancy tests, checkups during the pregnancy, the cost of an emergency c-section, and the costs to vaccinate and deworm the puppies after they're born. Its not cheap. That is why reputable, responsible breeders do so after only much thought and only with 2 dogs that will improve the breed by producing higher-quality puppies.