At what age should I start training my Akita?

I have a male Akita that is 4 months old and I was wondering when I should start to use discipline on him for his bad behaviors..

I have a male Akita that is 4 months old and I was wondering when I should start to use discipline on him for his bad behaviors.....
    Dog Breed Discussions : At what age should I start training my Akita?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At what age should I start training my Akita?

At what age should I start training my Akita? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a male Akita that is 4 months old and I was wondering when I should start to use discipline on him for his bad behaviors..

At what age should I start training my Akita? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You should start training him as soon as possible. An by discipline you don't want to hit your dog at all. Discipline only if your present while he did something wrong by shouting no and putting him in his crate for 5 min do he realizes he did something wrong. Don't ever ht your dog

• Now is a great time. They MUST know who the master is or they WILL take charge. They respond well to consitancy and kindness but not harsh treatment. They need alot of socialization and obediance training.

• I start training my puppies on the way out of the kennel the day I pick up a 7 week old. However, I mostly use positive methods. Check some of these books:Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor, 1996Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1993Second Hand dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1988Dog Problems, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1989Super Puppy, by Peter J. Vollmer, 1988HELP, Mt dog Has an Attitude, by Gwen Bohnenkamp, 1994Owners' Guide Better Behavior in Dogs and Cats, by William Campbell, 1989What All Good dogs Should Know, By Wendy Vollmer, 1991How to Raise a Dog When Nobody is Home, Jerry Kilmer, 1991Puppy Primer, by Brenda K Skidmore and Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., 1996Beginning Family Dog Training, by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., 1996

• The basics should start as soon as the puppy is walking around and exploring and learning about the world. Pretty young. But it is certainly not too late.On the other side of the coin there is the consideration of letting a puppy be a puppy for a while. It all depends what you mean by "training". If we are talking intensive training, then I would say about 6 months old is a good time to get the puppy on it's way to being a well behaved dog.Good luck with your puppy