Are all Akitas to dangerous to have around young children?

Ive been saving up to get a family dog for ages , and Akitas seem to be so lovable , my grandfather said there brains start to go when they get older and they become unpredictable is that true? I really want one as a family pet , im a very responsible…

Ive been saving up to get a family dog for ages , and Akitas seem to be so lovable , my grandfather said there brains start to go when they get older and they become unpredictable is that true? I really want one as a family pet , im a very responsible…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are all Akitas to dangerous to have around young children?...

• Are all Akitas to dangerous to have around young children?

Are all Akitas to dangerous to have around young children? Dog Breed Discussions
      Ive been saving up to get a family dog for ages , and Akitas seem to be so lovable , my grandfather said there brains start to go when they get older and they become unpredictable is that true? I really want one as a family pet , im a very responsible parent i would never get a dog knowing it could be extremely risky because of the breed.

Are all Akitas to dangerous to have around young children? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You can't use the word "all" because every dog is different. Crankiness in older dogs can be common in all breeds, even the loveable Golden. The Akita is a beautiful breed but the general consensus is that Akitas were bred to be guard dogs and are shown to have extreme loyalty to their families. You don't say how old the kids are, but you might want to hold off on this breed until you are sure they have reached a certain maturity level. The dogs are normally intolerant of abusive behavior so any children need to be taught to respect the animal. This means avoiding ear or tail pulling and climbing on (not that any child should ever be allowed to do that).

• Akitas need a very experienced owner who will set boundaries and stick to them. DO NOT get this breed if you are in the least bit timid with dogs or don't have a solid training program in mind.If you do get an Akita, especially if you choose a male, do not expect to be able to bring another dog into your home: Akitas can get very territorial and/or jealous.Akitas are not an easygoing breed: they can go horribly wrong if not managed properly.

• Akitas are not suitable dogs to have around young children. Period.I have owned and been involved with this breed since the 80's.Here are some great Akita facts written by the authority on the breed.-----------------Akitas are large, males can weigh over 100 pounds; they have great body strength and willful temperaments, definitely not grandma's dog! All puppies are cute, including Akita puppies, but before you purchase a cuddly puppy that grows into a grizzly bear, read the FACTS. Akitas do not bark unless there is a good reason. When an Akita is barking, pay attention. They are silent hunters who hunt low to the ground without growls or noise, similar to cats. Akitas may consider small animals as prey and hunt them. This includes cats, rodents, birds, small wildlife and small dogs. Akitas can be raised to accept animals in residence. Some adult Akitas can even be trained to fit into a home where other animals are already established. It is, however, imperative that the Akita be closely watched around the other animals until you have established a peaceful co-existence. Chickens, ducks and other birds are a meal for an Akita, do not expect the dog to befriend fowl. Akitas are natural guardians of the home and do not require any training to turn them into guard dogs. When there is a reason to protect family and property, your Akita will act to do so. Guests welcome in your home when you are present will NOT be welcomed by the Akita when you are not home. Your gates should be padlocked to protect the Akita and any neighborhood children who may enter your property. Akitas are inherently aggressive towards other animals and for this reason, they should not be allowed to run free or roam at will. You can exercise your Akita off leash when you are in an area where it's unlikely there will be much contact with other animals and people. Male Akitas show aggression toward other male dogs, and female Akitas usually will not tolerate another female. Akitas can live peacefully with a dog of the opposite sex, though some Akitas prefer being an only dog! Akitas are VERY food possessive. If you have other pets, you will want to be certain the Akita is given its own food bowl or treat well away from any other animals and that no other animal is allowed near the Akita until the food is gone. It's common sense to keep visiting children away from an Akita at dinnertime. Akitas not raised with children are not always tolerant of small children. The Akita should never be left alone with a child even if you are certain you have a dog that adores all children. A large dog can accidentally injure a child. Often, Akitas raised with children will tolerate their own children but may not accept the neighborhood kids. As a general rule it is wise not to leave an Akita or any large dog alone with children under 12 years of age. Akitas do not like to be teased and can respond by biting. Some children are allowed to treat animals unkindly, a behavior that often leads to cruelty to animals. These children should be kept away from an Akita, whose large size and hunting instincts can endanger the child's life. Akitas consider eye contact a challenge and can react aggressively. It is strongly advised NOT to get down on the Akitas level and close to the dog's face unless you are well acquainted with the Akita. These positions can and do trigger an aggressive response.

• I wouldn't ever chance it. They're a very powerful breed of dog with very wolf-like instincts and behaviors, and are not suitable as pets in the average home, around average children.Akitas, and other Asian breeds like the Chow Chow and the Shar Pei have very subtle warning signs that they show before they get angry or bite. This can lead to it seeming like they have bitten absolutely out of the blue or for "no reason". Not for the average pet owner.