When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus?

My 6 month old puppy recovered from the parvovirus 5 weeks ago. He wasn't vaccinated in time. I've been waiting until I thought it was safe to administer the first set of vaccinations. Of course, the vaccines include the parvovirus. I just don't want him…

When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus?

My 6 month old puppy recovered from the parvovirus 5 weeks ago. He wasn't vaccinated in time. I've been waiting until I thought it was safe to administer the first set of vaccinations. Of course, the vaccines include the parvovirus. I just don't want him…...
    General Dog Discussions : When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus?...

• When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus?

When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus? General Dog Discussions
      My 6 month old puppy recovered from the parvovirus 5 weeks ago. He wasn't vaccinated in time. I've been waiting until I thought it was safe to administer the first set of vaccinations. Of course, the vaccines include the parvovirus. I just don't want him to relapse. Is it safe to administer it to him?

When is it safe to give a puppy the parvovirus vaccine after they've recently recovered from the virus? General Dog Discussions
    • If a puppy recovers from parvovirus infection, he is immune to reinfection for probably at least twenty months and possibly for life. In addition, after recovery the virus is not shed in the feces. There are many commercially prepared attenuated (modified) live CPV-2 vaccines available. The current vaccines protect against all strains of the canine parvovirus, including the relatively new parvovirus-2c strain. Although some people have expressed concern about the possibility of modified live vaccines reverting to a virulent strain after being given and then causing disease, studies have repeatedly shown that this does not occur. Commercially prepared vaccines are safe and do not cause disease.Your vet will be your best resource as to when it is safe or effective to give your pup a vaccine.

• Call the Vet in charge at the drug company that makes the vaccine. They are an excellent resource!Also, of course, talk to your Vet. I am not an expert, and I'm under the impression that once they have recovered from Parvo they should be immune from getting it again...keep asking lots of questions!My experience is that any puppy can easily be exposed to Parvo & vaccinations are the only chance they have. Seems to me that 2 out 3 pups that get it die. There is no cure...all that can be done is try to keep them alive & fighting hoping their system will win out. It is completly devastating & heartbreaking...vaccinations on time are far more important than most pet owners realize.Their most vunerable time to get it is around 4 months of age...right when a person might think they have the healthiest pup in the world! I breed Shih Tzu & they have 3 vaccinations before they leave my home, 2-3 weeks apart. I use NeoPar (a single antigen for Parvo) & the 5 way Combo shots. I constantly research through Vets & just try to keep learning as I go along.