How do you deal with a stubborn, frisky cat?

My kitten, August, is about 6 or 7 months old (not exact because we found her as a stray when she was about 2-3 months, according to the vet). She's a Calico and is EXTREMELY frisky. She is a trickster, joke-ster and a calculating trouble maker. She will…

My kitten, August, is about 6 or 7 months old (not exact because we found her as a stray when she was about 2-3 months, according to the vet). She's a Calico and is EXTREMELY frisky. She is a trickster, joke-ster and a calculating trouble maker. She will…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you deal with a stubborn, frisky cat?...

• How do you deal with a stubborn, frisky cat?

How do you deal with a stubborn, frisky cat? General Dog Discussions
      My kitten, August, is about 6 or 7 months old (not exact because we found her as a stray when she was about 2-3 months, according to the vet). She's a Calico and is EXTREMELY frisky. She is a trickster, joke-ster and a calculating trouble maker. She will do "bad" things right in front of me for attention. And then when I play with her, she wants to play really rough. She is an attention "whore". She wants to be played with CONSTANTLY and that's difficult to do. Once I try to stop playing and go and do something (like use the bathroom or eat) she does something bad and I have to go and reprimand her. She love to do things blatantly in front of us and then go run around the house when we try to catch her to reprimand her. For her, I think it's become a game. She LOVES to be chased and I gladly do it, but only for about 30 minutes. Once I stop, she resorts to finding something to tear up or getting up on a table or knocking over books, etc. I recently have tried a spray bottle filled with water. The first time, it worked and she was peaceful for about an hour then went right back to her usual trouble-making self. I used it later when she got onto our couch and put her face in my plate of food. She has now gone to her hiding spot and won't come out for a treat (she always comes running when we yell "TREAT!"). I'm afraid that it'll do more damage than good and that she'll associate me (her primary owner and caretaker) with the mean water bottle. My parents will more than likely continue to use it because she responds to it. I don't want her to be afraid of me.Any suggestions?She has a ton of toys and also a cat jungle gym. The house is littered with toys. And we are a family of 4 and we all play with her throughout the times that each of us is home. I am her main playmate, but I have other responsibilities as well. Maybe another kitten would be a good idea...

How do you deal with a stubborn, frisky cat? General Dog Discussions
    • It sounds like that might just be her personality. They do have personalities. The activity level often gos down over time, but that might be 2 or 3 years. Just like with a puppy or bright & physically active dog breed does all their lives, you might need to provide activity for her more than once a day. There are kinds of cat toys that require some strategy & activity to do things like retrieve a treat or that have moving parts that fascinate some cats. I had a cat once that loved a video with birds & movement & sounds on it. Squirt bottles are great for discipline, but trying to change or blunt an animals personality is kind of cruel. It'd be nicer for the cat if you guys found an active, stimulating home where people are more open to interacting & playing with her. When an animal starts damaging things & chewing on stuff, it's a sign of frustration & boredom. They either need help finding more activity or else they need an environment more suited to their personality.One of my cats finds something crinkly to chew on & make noise every morning at 7 am if I'm not already up. Internal clock he has. I accept it.