My dog is losing weight after giving birth, is this normal?

My dog is health, I least so the Vet says, and she had no complications throughout the pregnancy, but now she seems to be dropping a lot of weight. She is starting to look like a bone-rack. I'm quite concerned. Anyone hear of this before?Sorry she…

My dog is health, I least so the Vet says, and she had no complications throughout the pregnancy, but now she seems to be dropping a lot of weight. She is starting to look like a bone-rack. I'm quite concerned. Anyone hear of this before?Sorry she…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is losing weight after giving birth, is this normal?...

• My dog is losing weight after giving birth, is this normal?

My dog is losing weight after giving birth, is this normal? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is health, I least so the Vet says, and she had no complications throughout the pregnancy, but now she seems to be dropping a lot of weight. She is starting to look like a bone-rack. I'm quite concerned. Anyone hear of this before?Sorry she gave birth about 3 weeks ago, and yes I have been de-worming them all.And she had 9 pups...

My dog is losing weight after giving birth, is this normal? General Dog Discussions
    • you didn't say when she gave birth, she and the puppies should be dewormed at regular intervals, during the nursing period, she also needs to be eating extra food since she is nursing I use a high quality puppy food. Vitamins wouldn't hurt either.

• nursing puppies causes your dog to burn a lot of its stored fat. you should try feeding your dog puppy food, which is higher in calories than regular dog food, and maybe enticing her with a little cooked meat. keep taking your dog and the puppies for vet checkups, but she will likely remain thin until they are weaned, particularly if there are many of them.

• Are you feeding her enough to fuel not only the demands of her own body but of the pups as they nurse from her? Nursing dams require more food in particular, calories while nursing a litter. If she is loosing weight she is either not getting enough to eat or something else is going on. If she's getting enough food to meet her needs and the pups you need to take your dog to another vet if she is loosing as much weight as you say she is.

• Yes, my dog is going though the exact same thing. I think its because her pups are sucking a lot of nutrition out her through her milk. It takes a lot to feed her pups, takes a lot from her own body. Make sure she is getting what she needs through her diet.EDIT: Also, do NOT give her any kind of vitamins without you vets permission. It could harm or or/and the puppies.

• I think there may be 2 solutions. First, she may not want to eat dry food. Get some canned food and give her that. She also may need more calcium, before she gets hypo calcium. You can give her cottage cheese and tums. If she doesn't eat it, put it hidden in her food.

• Nine pups is a pretty good sized litter. The puppies require a lot of energy, and get all of it from their mother. Putting her on puppy food will probably help, and prefferably, have it available to her (along with lots of fresh water) at all times. Give her extra foods too. (fatty foods are good. Fat is high in energy) Things like cooked eggs (boiled or even fried in olive oil) and boiled chicken are good. Talk to your vet about your concern with her weight, and see if he recomends any vitamins or supplements. Nutri cal may be good. Ask your vet. Soft food is good as well, but try to mix it with the dry puppy food

• You need to feed her more.Dry puppy food should be available for her at all times and Bil-Jac fresh frozen dog food is great for putting weight on dogs and is ideal for weaning puppies. You should feed this to her twice a day. You can also give her cottage cheese as a source of protein and calcium,and eggs as a source of protein and amino acids. Just add a good -sized scoop of cottage cheese and an egg to her food every day. And deworm her as well.Please get her spayed before she comes into heat again.Edit: Properly fed dogs should not lose weight,even when nursing.I rescued a dog who was very pregnant and underweight and she had 6 puppies. She actually gained weight while she was nursing,which was good,as she was too thin when I got her. She was fed just what I suggested. I also started feeding the pups rice cereal and yogurt at the age of 3 weeks and added the Bil-Jac at 4 weeks and dry puppy food at 5 weeks.Still,they nursed until they were 9 weeks old! They were large mixed breed dogs.

• i have never heard of that, but I'd definitely call her vet and tell him what's going on. he may suggest a higher-calorie diet for her for a while to keep her bulked up. or he may give you supplements. be sure to ask.