What large dog breed are good with small dogs?

Believe it or not, I think Pit Bulls are the best with small dogs. My Pit Bull has been around Chihuahuas, Boston Terriers, Poodles, and Schnauzers and has definitely been the best playmate for all of them. My friends have a couple of Pit Bulls too and…

Believe it or not, I think Pit Bulls are the best with small dogs. My Pit Bull has been around Chihuahuas, Boston Terriers, Poodles, and Schnauzers and has definitely been the best playmate for all of them. My friends have a couple of Pit Bulls too and…...
    General Dog Discussions : What large dog breed are good with small dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What large dog breed are good with small dogs?

What large dog breed are good with small dogs? General Dog Discussions
      Believe it or not, I think Pit Bulls are the best with small dogs. My Pit Bull has been around Chihuahuas, Boston Terriers, Poodles, and Schnauzers and has definitely been the best playmate for all of them. My friends have a couple of Pit Bulls too and I'm sure they would say the same. I know they have a bad rep but they're really gentle playmates. Occasionally they may get out of hand but the Pit Bull is perfect in general. The only problem you would have is if your Yorkie didn't like the Pit. But, Pit Bulls are really athletic and need lots of exercise. If you're willing to provide your Pit Bull a couple walks and play time each day, I guaranteee you'll have a perfect dog on your hands.

What large dog breed are good with small dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • i think it depends on the dog and not necessarily the breed ... my five pound dog plays with my friends portuguese water dog and that dog is super gentle with my little guy ... my dog also plays with a rhodesian ridgeback who is equally gentle with my small dog ... and he also plays with a german shepherd mix and i have no worries when they play ... not one of those dogs ever made my dog yelp during play ...

• get the dog from a puppy n always moniter the 2 dogs play time.just so he/she learns maners lol.big dogs can b too rough n clumsy sometimes.. im not sure how big u want but st bernards r big soft giants..u can get long or short haired as well

• Besides a Lab and what ever the guy on top of me just said, i think you need to get a Pit Bull, but obviously not any old Pit Bull from the shelter, you have to go to the back alleys of Spain to where the dog fights ....... i mean dog play school that looks a lot like dog fights but aren't and retrieve one from there. Believe me if you happen to see your Yorkie in the mouth of the Pit Bull it's only because their playing, any loud yelps can be easily resolved with turning up the volume to your TV.

• All depends on the two dogs. I have a little 14 lb. Pekingese mix mutt and what looks like a black golden retriever mutt. The little dog has always preferred bigger dogs and was raised in a foster home with them, and the bigger dog is a fraidy cat and does better with small dogs. We do have to be careful though, because the two rough house a lot and the big one will sometimes have the little one's face in her mouth.

• Labs are usually really great, they have wonderful temperments. If you get any dog as a puppy though, it should be fine. The yorkie should have no problem establishing dominance when it's young and that sticks!