How to get 6 week old puppy back to health?

My brother has just got his little pup cause the backyard breeder didn't want him in the house any more. This little guy has been on the mom's milk for only two weeks since he was born and he has been eating caned puppy food until he grew his teeth then…

My brother has just got his little pup cause the backyard breeder didn't want him in the house any more. This little guy has been on the mom's milk for only two weeks since he was born and he has been eating caned puppy food until he grew his teeth then…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get 6 week old puppy back to health?...

• How to get 6 week old puppy back to health?

How to get 6 week old puppy back to health? General Dog Discussions
      My brother has just got his little pup cause the backyard breeder didn't want him in the house any more. This little guy has been on the mom's milk for only two weeks since he was born and he has been eating caned puppy food until he grew his teeth then they started feeding him adult dog food!? Yes I know this backyard breeder is a horrible person didnt no shit about anything. This pore pup is in really bad shap very skinny,very bloatted. Taking him to the vet to get dewormed and shots today but what is the best way to get this pup back to health? Is he going to grow to his full potential? Im thing of getting him on goat milk for about two weeks then start mixing a good puppy chow with the goat milk when he reaches 8 weeks, what do you guys think?

How to get 6 week old puppy back to health? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't recommend giving any goat milk, cow milk, etc. If you give him any type of "milk", I would recommend getting a puppy milk replacer. It's like baby formula - it comes in powder form and you mix it with warm water. Your veterinary clinic may sell it, otherwise you can get it at a store like Petco or PetSmart. Any type of actual food he gets should definitely be a puppy formula; he will need to be on that for the first year of his life. Your veterinarian can give you good tips on how to care for him, what to feed him, etc. after examining the pup, too. If he does in fact have intestinal parasites, the deworming will help a lot as well. Glad to hear you took this little guy in to properly care for him! Good luck!

• First of all I would say do NOT get this puppy his shots today. Get him wormed for sure, but wait until he is in good health before vaccinating. Vaccinations send the immune system into overdrive and so they should be fit and healthy before being given them. In the UK we don't do the first one until 8 weeks old. Just get his a good quality food and feed at least four times a day. He will soon pick up. He can have goats milk but not cows.We sometimes get rottweiler pups into rescue in a bit of a mess like this and it is surprising how well they do once on decent food. If this is a large breed pup then it is almost difficult to slow their growth rate down once they start improving and that in itself can bring more problems so be careful.

• Your vet will give you the best advice when you take for shots and worming.In the meantime all I can advise is to give as good a brand of puppy chow as possible.I always give some raw to my pup's, chicken necks and lamb flanks at 8 weeks when they come home to me, the chewing is good for their teeth as well as other benefits of receiving some raw food in their daily diet.As your pup is 6 weeks it really is fully weaned so I would eliminate milk altogether, it's pretty useless value to him now, anything you introduce dairy will probably just give the runs.

• If I were in your shoes, I would wait on vaccinations until the pup is healthy. Find a good puppy chow n try adding a mixture of puppy replacement formula, baby rice cereal and plain yogurt 2 times a day. I have used this with several pups over the years n it works wonders! I've been working with dogs over 20 years n can say its the best thing iv found for pups weaned to early, malnourished or neglected. Go ahead with the worming, sounds like he's gonna need all the nutrients he can get. Good luck and turn that breeder in!!