what it takes to be a good yorkie owner?

okay, so i am soooo obsessed with yorkies. they're just so adorable! and my apartment does not allow dogs, and so i really want a yorkie, and my parents said i could get one when we move into a smaller apartment because my brother is moving to a dorm for…

okay, so i am soooo obsessed with yorkies. they're just so adorable! and my apartment does not allow dogs, and so i really want a yorkie, and my parents said i could get one when we move into a smaller apartment because my brother is moving to a dorm for…...
    General Dog Discussions : what it takes to be a good yorkie owner?...

• what it takes to be a good yorkie owner?

what it takes to be a good yorkie owner? General Dog Discussions
      okay, so i am soooo obsessed with yorkies. they're just so adorable! and my apartment does not allow dogs, and so i really want a yorkie, and my parents said i could get one when we move into a smaller apartment because my brother is moving to a dorm for college, any whom, i am just so excited that there's a chance i'm getting one. i might be going to a local dog rescue. i just wanna ask some questions and get some advice.(:1. how much will it cost to rescue a yorkie? and what age should i get it at.2. is it friendly, or very sassy? what are the common personalities? 3. how long can i leave it home alone? because i have school for 8-9 hours, my parents aren't home either, well my dad's home for 3/7 of the week. 4. is it easy to train?(any tips?)5. does it consume much food a day?6. how often do i need to groom, cut, wash, comb the hair? 7. do it keep it in a leash? or is it independent while you're walking. how many times do i have to walk it? and do you recommend having pads for the yorkie in the house just in case it does a little accident while i'm not home. 8. how much do you think i have to go see a vet a year? how do i prevent it from getting sick. 9. easy to travel with? barks much? friendly? enjoys people? friendly with other dogs?

what it takes to be a good yorkie owner? General Dog Discussions
    • I only know the answers to #s 1,3 and7 here are the answers to the ones i know1. It depends on where you adopt it from some adoption fees are only 100$ whereas others might be 600$ try looking on petfinder3.Don't leave any dog alone for more than 1 hour instead hire a dogwalker or take him/her to doggy daycare7. Just to be safe use a leash when walking him/her

• 1. Adoption fees are anywhere from $50 to $400. Rescue a puppy or dog at any age-- speak to the coordinators at the rescues/shelters about what dogs are available, and what dogs suit your family.2. Personality depends on the individual dog-- and on the time you invest in training and socialization. 3. Again, depends on the individual. Our dogs are fine at home while we're at work (8- 9 hours), but other dogs don't tolerate it so well. A dog who's left at home needs TONS of attention and exercise when you are home with him. 4. Training is never "easy." It always requires time and patience and research. Research positive reinforcement techniques. No hitting, ever. 5. Our dogs are on a raw diet, and they eat 2 - 4 percent of their body weights a day. Amounts depend on what you're feeding-- crappy junk foods mean the dog will have to eat more, and higher quality foods mean the dog will have to eat less, usually. Use sites like dogfoodadvisor.com or dogfoodscoop.com to find a good commercial dog food-- one of the most important things to research. 6. I tend to adopt short-haired dogs, because I don't want to deal with tons of grooming. I bathe my dogs every couple of months or so. 7. Always keep dogs on a leash, unless you're in a fenced-in private area. In most places, it's illegal to let a dog off a leash in public. Definitely NO pee pads!!!!! They just teach a dog to pee and poop indoors. 8. A vet is required every time the dog is sick, hurt, or acting strangely-- in addition to regular yearly wellness checks. Diet and exercise will keep him healthy.