Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?

I found a tick on my dog's forehead this morning and pulled it off. I think the fangs or whatever they are called stayed in my dog b/c I didn't see them on the tick. My dog is still a puppy, (chihuahua) is there anything I should do at this point? I'm…

I found a tick on my dog's forehead this morning and pulled it off. I think the fangs or whatever they are called stayed in my dog b/c I didn't see them on the tick. My dog is still a puppy, (chihuahua) is there anything I should do at this point? I'm…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?...

• Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog?

Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I found a tick on my dog's forehead this morning and pulled it off. I think the fangs or whatever they are called stayed in my dog b/c I didn't see them on the tick. My dog is still a puppy, (chihuahua) is there anything I should do at this point? I'm really worried since it's on his head and close to his brain. Can the "fangs" cause an infection? What should I do?

Is it bad to pull a tick off of a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • The mouth staying in the dog's skin is the reason they always say not to pull one out. So you know the problem first hand, yes. I say put some antibiotic ointment on it, and watch it closely. Good luck

• You have to remove a tick properly. If you don't know what you are doing, you could do more damange than good. Take your dog to the vet and have him check the pup out. Then have him show you how to properly remove a tick and how to kill it after you've removed it.

• they should fall out after a while, my dog had the same problem theres nothing wrong with pulling them out, you can also lite a match and then blow out the flame and place that on the tick and it will immediately make him stop biting HOWEVER you have to also hold your dog still so he doesnt get burnt or my mom always sprayed them with hairspray cause it sufficates them i dont know if that would harm the dog or not but you should be fine hun!

• I don't think it would cause a major infection from just one tick, but I'd try to get a cotton ball and alcohol and soak the area pretty good. If you have an old pair of tweezers that are in good shape, you could use those to pull off the ticks when you find them.Also, you might already know this, but just in case...when you get the tick off, burn it. That's the only sure fire way to kill them. Besides, we don't want them getting on our babies (doggies).

• Your dog will be fine. You should always remove ticks when found. The best way to do it is to use a pair of tweezers and get as close to the skin of the dog as possible to insure that you get most if not all of the tick.

• its only bad if the ticks head is still in the dog, take it to the vet and they will give you a washing solution now to remove anything left behind.

• To pull a tick off a dog you have to get the tick's head with a pair of tweezers and pull slowly & firmly to make sure to get it all. Then dispose of it by flushing it down the toilet.If you think some of it is still under the skin, clean it and put some neosporin ointment on it. Just watch it for a day to make sure it doesn't turn red and look nasty. It will most likely be OK.

• call your vet, see if there have been any tick related illnesses reported in your area. If not, then make sure you clean the spot. Keep an eye on the bite to make sure it doesn't get infected. If money isn't a problem, you may want to take him to the vet and have the vet check the bite. If money is a problem, you can prolly get away with just watching it for a few days. If it starts to get red and irritated, then you have to take him to the vet. good luck!

• It is unlikely that it will cause an infection....but you can use some of oil (cooking oil, body oil, whatever) and massage it in the area that the tick head is implanted...then use tweezers to pull it out...keep those tweezers just for your doggy, and next time you see a tick on your dog use them to grab the tick BY THE HEAD, and pull it completely out of your dog. Because even after a tick is popped, or squished it's eggs can live I would suggest burning the tick after you get it off. Also you might consider getting your pet on flea/tick treatments, even if it doesn't have fleas. They sort of go hand in hand as far as treatments are concerned....I would suggest Advantage, but that is just me, some people swear by Frontline>

• I hate to tell you this now that you have already done it, but pulling a tick off is not a good thing to do. You need to call your vet and have him seen. I know you have already removed the tick now but here is a link on how to remove a tick, and why it is bad to pull it off.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=62GOOD LUCK:Brandie!http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wild_About_Animals/

• Do not let the others answering your question scare you. We live where there are many ticks and we pull them off our dogs all the time and nothing happens to the dog.For your own peace of mind, you can keep an eye on the spot where the tick bit your dog, but you should not be that worried about it. You could ask your vet if Lyme's disease is a problem in your area and if your dog needs a shot for that.

• You need to put your puppy on advantage for tricks and fleas. Ask your Vet. about this! I have a ten week old puppy and she is on it.. It is ok to pull a tick out but you have to know what and how to do so. Take the puppy to the Vet. just to be on the safe side and piece of mind for you. If you are anything like me ,I worry about my puppy as if she were a my child which in turn she really is now since mine is grown.