How do I get my dog to stop humping other male dogs at the park?

Firstly, many dogs don't mount for dominance. Lots of dogs just have a very low arousal threshold and get very revved up at dog parks. Try playing with your dog at home and getting him all jazzed up. Then call him to you and get him in a down stay. Once…

Firstly, many dogs don't mount for dominance. Lots of dogs just have a very low arousal threshold and get very revved up at dog parks. Try playing with your dog at home and getting him all jazzed up. Then call him to you and get him in a down stay. Once…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop humping other male dogs at the park?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog to stop humping other male dogs at the park?

How do I get my dog to stop humping other male dogs at the park? General Dog Discussions
      Firstly, many dogs don't mount for dominance. Lots of dogs just have a very low arousal threshold and get very revved up at dog parks. Try playing with your dog at home and getting him all jazzed up. Then call him to you and get him in a down stay. Once he can do this dependably even when he's at a high arousal level, you can attach a verbal cue - like "Good Calm." Your dog truly may just need to learn how to self settle.Or he may just be a mad humper!Good luck!

How do I get my dog to stop humping other male dogs at the park? General Dog Discussions
    • By any chance are you taking him to an off-leash park? Dogs are pack animals and will attempt to establish their position in pack hierarchy if left unsupervised. You are lucky he is only humping and not attacking other dogs or vice-versa.Walk him on leash on a trail or sidewalk for exercise and one-on-one interaction with YOU. Leave the free-for-alls to the others and you will be much happier, and so will your dog.

• Well, one. If you do not have him nuetured, get him neutured. It discourages sexual activity. And when he does it, stay near him, and snap your fingers and say HEY. If you have him on a leash, tup his leash gently while you do what I said above. Do this every time he humps another dog. After a while, he should understand that you are calling him to attention only while he was humping other dogs, and he will know the you don't want him to do that. If that doesn't work, get advice from a trainer or vet. Remeber, get him nuetored if you don't already. If you can't get him to stop, don't take him to the park. GOOD LUCK!

• Get the National Geographic channel added to whatever cable/satellite service you use and watch The Dog Whisperer. After awhile, you too will learn how to be a pack leader, and maintain your dog in a calm submissive state even at the dog park.I believe the other poster is correct - male dog humping male dog is a sign of dominance behavior, not doggy homosexuality......

• Keep him on leash....when he greets another dog, and start to hump, give a firm correction and walk him away. DO NOT let him do this, as he might try to hump the "wrong" dog and get into a serious fight. Now you'll have a lawsuit on your hands. Try taking him to obedience classes as well. But most important, keep him on leash.

• Our dog is 3 and 1/2 and will not stop humping dogs at the park. I think he does it as a dominance thing to encourage other dogs to play with him, but its very annoying and the other owners are often not amused. Suggestions, ideas?Thanks.Yes, he is neutered. He got neutered at approximately 10 months because he was a rescue.