How can I get my puppy to stop licking up urine ?

My puppy is 2 months old. She was using puppy pads great, but now she will hardly use them. I get up every 2 hours at night to let her out of crate to urinate, but she pees in crate and licks it up. Help!!!

My puppy is 2 months old. She was using puppy pads great, but now she will hardly use them. I get up every 2 hours at night to let her out of crate to urinate, but she pees in crate and licks it up. Help!!!...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my puppy to stop licking up urine ?...

• How can I get my puppy to stop licking up urine ?

How can I get my puppy to stop licking up urine ? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is 2 months old. She was using puppy pads great, but now she will hardly use them. I get up every 2 hours at night to let her out of crate to urinate, but she pees in crate and licks it up. Help!!!

How can I get my puppy to stop licking up urine ? General Dog Discussions
    • How weird i have looked around and this is the only info I could find not much help though and they seem to be talking about adult dogs.Sorry I guess ask the vet??? There isn't much information that I can find on dogs that will urinate and then lick or drink the urine. The only references I can find to this suggest that it is a learned behavior in some dogs that are constantly penned when young (usually pet store dogs) and that it occurs in other situations in which excessive boredom is likely. Some people have associated this behavior with hormonal changes in unspayed female dogs but I don't know if there is really any data to support that association. The only treatment options that I have seen for this is to use amitriptyline (Elavil Rx) or clomipramine (Clomicalm Rx). I am not sure what the rational is behind using these medications, though. Mike Richards, DVM 3/14/99Just talked to a vet that I work with at the shelter he said dogs lick their urine because they do not like a mess in their crates they sometimes eat their poo if they go in a crate.