what kind of insurance for dog do I need?

I have a puppy husky and she has a hernia on her belly buttom.... anyways what kind of dog insurance should I buy in order for this to be cover? I was checking this site https://www.petinsurance.com/enroll/Quote3.aspxand wondering about the VPI…

I have a puppy husky and she has a hernia on her belly buttom.... anyways what kind of dog insurance should I buy in order for this to be cover? I was checking this site https://www.petinsurance.com/enroll/Quote3.aspxand wondering about the VPI…...
    General Dog Discussions : what kind of insurance for dog do I need?...

• what kind of insurance for dog do I need?

what kind of insurance for dog do I need? General Dog Discussions
      I have a puppy husky and she has a hernia on her belly buttom.... anyways what kind of dog insurance should I buy in order for this to be cover? I was checking this site https://www.petinsurance.com/enroll/Quote3.aspxand wondering about the VPI standard plan... but doesn;t mention hernia?

what kind of insurance for dog do I need? General Dog Discussions
    • My poodle was born with a hernia on his belly button and the vet said it was not necessary to have it operated on. He is 5 now and it never has gotten any bigger or bothered him. Check with a vet to see if it is absolutely necessary for your dog to have this operation.

• Unfortunately, none of the pet insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions. However, I feel that Embrace Pet Insurance offers the most comprehensive coverage and it is based on the cost of the actual vet bill. Unlike VPI that is based on a set "schedule" of allowable charges, Embrace covers up to 90% of the actual vet bill. Also, Embrace offers a wellness plan you can add to your insurance plan that you can use toward vaccinations, having your puppy spayed, dental cleanings, etc. You may be able to have the hernia repaired when your puppy is spayed if it is not to big to wait. Ask your veterinarian if he/she will repair at that time for no charge. Some will due to the fact that they are already making an abdominal incision there anyway. It really depends on how large the hernia is. Hope this helps you.Amie Cook, RVT

• Like someone else mentioned, no insurance company will pay for this treatment as it is "preexisting". Pet insurance only covers things that happen after you sign up. (Think about it-- if you didn't have car insurance and got in a bad car accident, you find any insurance company to pay for your car.)Secondly, you should ask the vet how severe the problem is to see if it's necessary to get surgery. However, since your puppy is still a baby, I would definitely recommend getting pet insurance. She has many years head of her that she could get into mischief or get sick so it's a good idea. I would recommend Trupanion pet insurance which is what I have with my dog. Unlike Embrace that covers "up to" 90% or VPI that covers "reasonable charges", Trupanion actually covers 90% of the actual bill every time. They also don't have claim limits or yearly limits (just a lifetime limit) so no matter how big the bill is, it's covered. If you had gotten insurance prior to the hernia, it would have been covered by Trupanion.-If you're going to get insurance, watch out for companies with benefits schedules because sometimes your vet charges more than the company will pay out. -Also skip on routine coverage because it costs you the same or more as it would to just pay the vet directly. It really doesn't save you any money unless you use ALL your "allowance" every single year. IMO, not worth it.Anyway, good luck with your pup's hernia situation, hopefully it's not too bad!