how doyou know if a dog is out of labor?

I have a lab and she went in to labor and i was just wondering how you no and how long betwen puppys?

I have a lab and she went in to labor and i was just wondering how you no and how long betwen puppys?...
    General Dog Discussions : how doyou know if a dog is out of labor?...

• how doyou know if a dog is out of labor?

how doyou know if a dog is out of labor? General Dog Discussions
      I have a lab and she went in to labor and i was just wondering how you no and how long betwen puppys?

how doyou know if a dog is out of labor? General Dog Discussions
    • Has she had a puppy yet? If so, puppies can pop out one right after another. Most of the time they will come about every twenty to thirty minutes until she is finished whelping. This process usually slows down toward the end when there are less puppies to be born; and she may go over an hour between deliveries. Every new mom is different. Important rule of thumb...NEVER allow your dog to go more than two hours between pups.More than two hours signifies that there could be a big problem and she should be seen by a Vet IMMEDIATELY. Sometimes a puppy can get stuck. If this happens, the whole process shuts down and you could lose all the unborn puppies and mom as well. Only a Vet can tell you if this is happening. It may be a simple fix (like helping the puppy out, so the rest can follow naturally); OR it may require a C-section operation. This breeding/whelping business is not easy, and quite often it is not cheap. If you had taken her to the Vet for a prenatal Ultrasound, you would know how many puppies to expect; and would have a good idea of when she was finished. I will assume that this was not the case. Determining when she is finished is not easy. Most of the time you will actually see the contractions stop, and stay stopped. She may continue to pass a bloody fluid (and the last placenta as well); and then she will quiet down somewhat and busy herself with cleaning and nursing her puppies. She will be visably "calmer" when all the puppies are delivered. If she shows any sign of contractions, or acts agitated, you probably are not finished yet. Let her get some sleep but stay close in case she needs you. Offer her food, and especially water.All new mom's (and the entire litter) should be taken to the Vet the very next morning for a quick exam to determine if everyone is healthy and normal. Your girl should be given a "clean out" shot of Oxytocin to make sure she is not retaining any afterbirth. This is important. If she retains anything she can become very sick, very fast and you run the risk of losing her. Take her to the Vet for a checkup!!!If she is in labor and/or delivering puppies now, you are in for a sleepless night. She needs you with her, no getting around it. Hope you have a healthy litter with no problems. Good luck. Let me know how many you wind up with.

• Great answer bully4me :)... yup she shouldnt go longer then 2 hours between puppies... I would go to the vet to have her check her out to be on the safe side... I always say better safe then sorry