Will fixing my pit stunt his growth?

I took my pit puppy to the vet and they strongly recommended me fixing him "because he's a pitbull". I personally don't want to fix him because i want him to live up to his Bully potential and get as big as possible. I asked them if it stunts their…

I took my pit puppy to the vet and they strongly recommended me fixing him "because he's a pitbull". I personally don't want to fix him because i want him to live up to his Bully potential and get as big as possible. I asked them if it stunts their…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will fixing my pit stunt his growth?...

• Will fixing my pit stunt his growth?

Will fixing my pit stunt his growth? General Dog Discussions
      I took my pit puppy to the vet and they strongly recommended me fixing him "because he's a pitbull". I personally don't want to fix him because i want him to live up to his Bully potential and get as big as possible. I asked them if it stunts their growth and they told me some people believe that it does. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions or experience on it pretty please.

Will fixing my pit stunt his growth? General Dog Discussions
    • i would fix them its the best cause there are so many dogs in rescue centers and lots are pitbulls which is very sad because there good dogs... but you don't want him to run away and make pupp's that could end up in the wrong hands

• I have never know of spaying or neutering to stunt a dogs growth.It is in the ene pattern and the make up of the dogs and their ancestors whether he will stay smaller then others.For the betterment of the dog and yes to prevent future generations of dogs and also different types of cancer, neuter the dog.Be a kind dog owner, do it for him.

• Neutering him won't stunt his growth, it'll just make him a mellower dog and eliminate the possibility of him adding to the huge pit bull overpopulation. Why does it matter how big he is, anyway? Unless you're one of the types that wants to hide behind their big, tough looking dog, of course.

• As long as your dog is healthy and the vet says neutering him is fine then personally I would have it done. If you'd rather wait until he is a year old (and done growing) then wait, but most likely neutering him isn't going to stunt him. Neutering him will prevent him from breeding.It will decrease aggression.It will help protect him from getting cancer.Etc..Unless he's of good pedigree and you want to breed him then have him neutered. It's the smartest thing you can do. :]

• No it doesn't the only time it does is if you fix them really early you can wait until he is between 6 months to about 10 months old. That way he will be sure to get the right about to testosterone to bulk him up and make him big but it will make him less aggressive and easier to handle, it does not change their personalities at all! My vet recommends getting any dog fixed around 4-6 months stunting growth usually only happens if under 4 months because they still have some growing to do. It is much healthier to fix an animal but if you wait until they are around 6-10months they are mostly full grown so it wont affect his growth at all :)

• Neutering removes the testicles. Removing the testicles drastically slows the production of testosterone, which is what helps male dogs develop. Neutering before he fully matures will stunt his growth. It's a fact. He will be smaller. If you want him to grow as large as possible, wait until he's done growing at about one year of age. Then have him neutered. He will have already reached his maximum size and will still be young enough that neutering will effect his behaviour positively by making him less aggressive and territorial. The same thing goes for female dogs.

• Genetics has already dictated his size.Neutering is removing a hormone producing organ, just as is spaying. You are removing the testosterone in males & estrogen in females. This will not effect his size, just his temperament that is so unpredictable in the breed.Men seem to have a harder time dealing with this, a man thing.He can look intact, they sell false testicles for dogs.http://www.neuticles.com/original.php

• This is the answer I posted to another similar question. If you want your dog to develop into a good muscular dog do not castrate until he is fully mature. The choice is yours!!There are more pro`s than cons for keeping a male dog intact.Read this very good article below. I posted it yesterday too.http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/s…I never castrate my male dogs. But if you feel you need to, then do not do it until the dog is fully mature.castrating a dog when just a puppy will result in a dog that does not develop true male characteristics.There will always be con-traversal opinions on this issue and the choice is ultimately down to you.Just look at the difference in appearance of these animals below that have been castrated at an early ageRam and the castrated wether.Stallion and castrated gelding.Bull and the castrated bullockCockerel and the castrated pulletThe difference in size and muscle and attitude and looks is enormous. Its the same when you castrate a puppy when its young. Males need testosterone to develop into true looking impressive males with a true male nature. If you are going to make a male into a eunuch as a puppy, then you may as well get a female pup and be done with it.People that say their dog has suffered no changes through early neutering are talking through their backside as how do they know how their dog would have turned out had he not been castrated too early? He may have been an entirely different character. Jmo.Think about it!

• No it will not stunt his growth. In fact, he will probably get bigger. As in taller and lankier. Neutering at a young age affects the endocrine system amongst other things. Bone development takes longer to close in neutered dogs, therefore allowing bones to grow a bit longer/bigger than they typically would. In most castrated animals, intact are generally smaller in stature. Removal of testicles halts or totally impedes the production of testosterone. This hormone is responsible for a few things but is one of the things largely responsible for building lean muscle mass. This is not saying the dog will be weak. But neutered males will have far less defined muscles and a higher fat to muscle ratio. It alters their appearance to be softer looking and less masculine looking, no doubt.Neutering is a personal choice and those who choose not to neuter a dog has a VERY large responsibility to prevent litters by strict confinement etc. Consider the fact, even an intact female may visit your intact male while on a tie out...or climb his fence. So these things must be considered in YOUR ability to responsibly contain your dog. In tact males can smell a female in heat from quite a distance and become restless along with relentless. Neutering can affect aggression levels. Males neutered younger (prior to maturity) tend to have less overall aggression. Those neutered at maturity show little marked difference. Being a pit bull owner you have a huge responsibility with your dog to showcase him as a well trained, well mannered pet who is under control at all times. Many of the things touted that neutering prevents can also be prevented via good dog leadership/ownership. Being a male pit bull...you have to acknowledge the fact your dog is probably going to be dog aggressive. There would probably be a larger occurrence of him being same sex dog aggressive if he were intact and a female was present. Because of the stigmata associated with the breed many local areas require that this breed be fixed. My best advice to you is neuter him...but wait til he is closer to being physical mature at the very least.

• Neutering your ill bred dog won't affect its growth at allYour testicles are NOT magically attached to the dogs and the dog will be better off with out them. There are no cons to spaying or neutering, there is no supported evidence of the BS that neutering makes a dog smaller or causes cancers or anything.