What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom?

We have a litter of nine. But two of are puppies at runts.We are trying to get them to feed on there mother, they will but they are not strong enough to hold on.When I went to get one to feed she just stopped. her body tensed and she didn't move. I…

What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom?

We have a litter of nine. But two of are puppies at runts.We are trying to get them to feed on there mother, they will but they are not strong enough to hold on.When I went to get one to feed she just stopped. her body tensed and she didn't move. I…...
    General Dog Discussions : What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom?...

• What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom?

What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom? General Dog Discussions
      We have a litter of nine. But two of are puppies at runts.We are trying to get them to feed on there mother, they will but they are not strong enough to hold on.When I went to get one to feed she just stopped. her body tensed and she didn't move. I thought she was dead, but they I rubbed her with a warm towel and she came back....

What does it mean when I newborn puppy goes stiff and howlong does a newborn need to feed on their mom? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm not sure about getting them to feed on their mother, when our dog had a litter a while ago, there was one runt, but he fed fine.As for how long does a newborn need to feed, I believe it is eight weeks, but you can start feeding them puppy food as well, we started that pretty early but I can't remember exactly when.

• What you are probably seeing is seizures from hypoglycemia. Get yourself some nutri-cal. These 2 pups need to be warm in order to eat. Give them some nutri-cal, warm them up. A hot water bottle is alright if you put it under a blanket. Make sure the pups do not get too hot. You are probably going to have to feed these pups either by bottle or tube feeding. You will need to ask your vet about tube feeding if you have never done it before. The pups might be too weak to nurse or even nurse from a bottle. She will push those pups away if they get cold and do not nurse. If you feed them yourself, remember that you have to make them pee and poop yourself. You can take some cotton balls wet down with warm water to rub the pups gently to make them go to the bathroom. If you can get these pups going for a few days, they might end up strong enough to go back in with the bitch. Personally I just had a litter 5 days ago, she had 10. I lost 2 yesterday morning and 1 this morning. The other 7 are doing fine. I still lost the 3 with tube feeding. It is a lot of work.

• It could be seizures. Don't guess at what is wrong- Take them to the vet for evaluation. Especially that theya re runts, they may have been under nourished in the womb.

• If the smallest puppies are not nursing and you are not bottle feeding them they will soon die. I woudl advise if you want to save them to immediately go out and get a baby bottle and some puppy formula and start feeding them. Puppies stiffen up sometimes when you pick them up because everything is new to them.

• keep these puppies warm all of the time get a baby bottle with some similac with iron i hate to say it but the way you are saying this is the puppy wont make it so you need to keep on them constintly keep rubbing them and make them move around dont try to make them walk or anything until you think they are getting stronger this puppy isnt going to want this bottle so you need to force feed it and if you think it is getting better try soft food can food put some on your finger and put it in its mouth just a little bit at a time though maybe 3 bites at first for the first 3 or 4 days then go to about 5 or 6 i just had a dog that had puppies and i didnt realize that this was happing so this one didnt make and the mom ran out of milk so i had to feed all of the other puppies myself also give your dog some vitamin d milk to keep her protein up she can have it once a day one in the morning and once at night hope this helps