What are some things to consider before breeding?

What are some things to consider before breeding animals such as cats or dogs of different breeds.

What are some things to consider before breeding animals such as cats or dogs of different breeds....
    General Dog Discussions : What are some things to consider before breeding?...

• What are some things to consider before breeding?

What are some things to consider before breeding? General Dog Discussions
      What are some things to consider before breeding animals such as cats or dogs of different breeds.

What are some things to consider before breeding? General Dog Discussions
    • You must consider the AGE and HEALTH of both dogs or cats, as well as where the puppies or kittens are going to go. Also, you must consider things like "what if something goes wrong?", "if so, will I be prepared with the proper equipment, or will I ask a veterinarian to come down to my house when the animal is giving birth so i am prepared?"

• Are you doing it to make back the cost of the dog?Are you doing it to make money?Are you doing it because you think your dog will be otherwise 'unfulfilled'?Are you doing it because you want a puppy?Are you doing it because you want your kids to see the miracle of life?Do you want to do this as a business for some extra income?If the answer to any of those questions is 'Yes' then DO NOT BREED YOUR ANIMAL. That's what leads to backyard breeders, crowded shelters, and sick animals.If, on the other hand, you love the breed and you have a animal with traits that will strengthen the breed, you can breed your animal. Reputable breeders make very, very little money on the dogs they sell. Usually it's only enough to cover their costs (no breeder I know uses it as a primary source of income)To get a good idea of all the things you have to consider to breed an animal, write a breeder. But a short list includes:Genetic/health screeningTraining for your grown dogsStud feesShow fees for your dogs (prize-winners=valuable breeders)foodVet careand more!

• Please reconsider breeding your pet and consider getting your pet (if you currently have one) spayed or neutered. There is currently and overpopulation of cats and dogs and therefore many cats and dogs currently in shelters will eventually have to be put to sleep because there aren't enough people to adopt them as it is. I have found that many of the dogs in shelters are even pure bred.