Will my dog eventually grow out of being scared to be in a car?

Last month, i got a 12 week old Cocker Spaniel. Whenever he goes inside the car and when the road gets bumpy, he throws up. When its a smooth ride, he just shakes a little. Is he just scared to be in car because he's a puppy? It is permanent? Will he…

Last month, i got a 12 week old Cocker Spaniel. Whenever he goes inside the car and when the road gets bumpy, he throws up. When its a smooth ride, he just shakes a little. Is he just scared to be in car because he's a puppy? It is permanent? Will he…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my dog eventually grow out of being scared to be in a car?...

• Will my dog eventually grow out of being scared to be in a car?

Will my dog eventually grow out of being scared to be in a car? General Dog Discussions
      Last month, i got a 12 week old Cocker Spaniel. Whenever he goes inside the car and when the road gets bumpy, he throws up. When its a smooth ride, he just shakes a little. Is he just scared to be in car because he's a puppy? It is permanent? Will he grow out of it?

Will my dog eventually grow out of being scared to be in a car? General Dog Discussions
    • Very normal.Puppies should be introduced to the car gradually.Around the block week 1 then around 2 blocks etc......He may get used to it. he needs time. If he gets to 5 months and is throwing up, see the vet for a anti-nausea pill - NOT human ones.If he can see out the FRONT window - raise his crate- he might not throw up.

• right now, the car is just something new and scary. you need to make it a positive experience. don't feed him before you go in the car. this will solve the problem of him throwing up. when hes in the car pet him and tell him has a good boy. do this before the car is on and moving. keep the door open so that he feels that he has a way to escape if something happens. keep increasing the pressure as he gets used to it. first close the door and when hes used to that, turn it on. it will take a lot of time and patience, but eventually with enough positive reinforcement, he should accept the car eventually.

• No, your pup won't grow out of it.You need to desensitize your pup and train it to like the car.If you don't then it will get fixed on how it is in the car now and possibly get worse over time.

• right now, the car is just something new and scary. you need to make it a positive experience. don't feed him before you go in the car. this will solve the problem of him throwing up. when hes in the car pet him and tell him has a good boy. do this before the car is on and moving. keep the door open so that he feels that he has a way to escape if something happens. keep increasing the pressure as he gets used to it. first close the door and when hes used to that, turn it on. it will take a lot of time and patience, but eventually with enough positive reinforcement, he should accept the car eventually.

• How are you transporting him? For instance, are you putting him in a crate? I would try this, as there is less "movement" and room for him to move around in. Also, he is young, so just make sure no treats or food prior to a "road trip". And yes, your pup will adjust and may get to the point that he loves to go "bye-bye"! Good luck and enjoy! :}

• That is normal. Your puppy will learn to enjoy his car ride and become less fearful of it. As for throwing up, I cannot say for sure if he'll ever stop that. My four year old dog recently threw up in the car due to car sickness. It doesn't happen very often so there is a lot of hope for your new pup!

• Just like some people, some dogs get carsick. I suffer from it (as do several members of my family), and so did my childhood dog. He lived to be more than 14, and he never grew out of it so we had to give him doggie motion sickness medicine from the vet before he went for a ride. Opening a few windows to let fresh air in can also help somewhat. But if he isn't on something to ease his nauseousness, don't let him ride with his head out the window because that can make his symptoms even worse.