Dog shelter medical plan and how much do meds usually cost?

i am wondering if shelters have dog insurace. what i mean by this is if they gave the dogs all their shots, gave them medication and things like that. also, if i adopt a dog from a shelter, should i take him to the vet immediately or did the ppl at the…

i am wondering if shelters have dog insurace. what i mean by this is if they gave the dogs all their shots, gave them medication and things like that. also, if i adopt a dog from a shelter, should i take him to the vet immediately or did the ppl at the…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dog shelter medical plan and how much do meds usually cost?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog shelter medical plan and how much do meds usually cost?

Dog shelter medical plan and how much do meds usually cost? General Dog Discussions
      i am wondering if shelters have dog insurace. what i mean by this is if they gave the dogs all their shots, gave them medication and things like that. also, if i adopt a dog from a shelter, should i take him to the vet immediately or did the ppl at the shelter already do it?one last thing, what monthly meds do dogs like chihuahuas typically need and how much it costs monthly? thanks in advance!

Dog shelter medical plan and how much do meds usually cost? General Dog Discussions
    • You could save a lot of money by learning about shots and what is truely needed. Dogs'& cats' immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces an immunity which is good for the life of the pet (i.e. canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper)(15- p35, 20, 21, 23) Modified live virus vaccines must replicate to stimulate the immune system. If another MLV vaccine is given, the antibodies from the first vaccine block the replication of the new virus. The actively acquired immunity in effect neutralizes the antigens of second vaccine, and there is little or no effect. (8,15,16,19,23a,23c) The titer (level of immunity) is not "boosted" nor are memory cells expanded. Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary (6), they subject the pet to the potential risk of adverse reactions like allergic reactions, Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (4, 21) (a disease where the dog rejects its' own blood) and Injection Site Fibrosarcomas for cats. The AVMA Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents has stated: There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of modified live virus vaccines. http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canine%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm

• Almost all shelters will vaccinate for kennel cough and distemper, parvo, hepatitis and parainfluenza since they don't want these diseases (which are fairly common still) spreading through the other shelter animals. Many also vaccinate for rabies, but not all of them. Some also vaccinate for things like canine influenza. But if you are adopting a young puppy, it's vaccine series may not be completed at the shelter and you would have to find your own vet to finish the last few shots.Almost all shelters spay and neuter their pets or provide a voucher for you to get it done for free at a participating animal hospital. Most will also provide a voucher for a first vet exam to be done within a few days of adoption. (Sometimes local vets will offer a free or reduced-cost exam for recently adopted shelter animals, even if the shelter doesn't have such a program).Some shelters also provide insurance for if the dog gets sick soon after adoption. You'll want to call and ask your local shelter for all the specifics. It might even be on their website.Regardless of what has been done at the shelter, it is always a good idea to take any new pet - especially a shelter animal - to a vet within a week of adopting it. There are three good reasons for this. One is that despite all the precautions and vaccinations that shelters use, kennel cough (and sometimes other contagious illnesses) often end up going through the pets anyway, just because of all the shelter overcrowding. So it's good to make sure your pet is really healthy and get some medication for the kennel cough if he needs it. The second is that it's good to establish a relationship with a vet right away, so the vet already knows your pet if you have to come in due to an unexpected injury or illness. And finally, you'll need a prescription from a vet to keep your dog on heartworm medication, which he'll need to start taking right away.All dogs should be on monthly flea and heartworm medication all year round - even indoor dogs. Skipping flea meds can lead to some nasty skin itchies and infection - sometimes requiring expensive vet bills to calm the skin down again - or it could *just* be a major hassle to get fleas in your house. Not generally life-threatening, but unpleasant enough that you don't really want to skip the flea meds. And you'll want flea meds from your vet - the ones at the pet store are less effective and less safe. Skipping heartworm meds can lead to a life-threatening heartworm infection that will cost you several hundred dollars to treat. It's definitely not worth skipping this treatment.You have several options for flea and heartworm medications. Most heartworm meds are chewable tablets and most flea meds are topical spot-on products, but there are spot-on heartworm meds (like Revolution) and chewable flea control (like Comfortis), and even some combined products that do both (like Revolution, Advantage Multi, or Sentinel). Talk with your vet to find out what works well for you. There are even a few generic heartworm medications that can help you save money. Generally, you are looking at a cost of about $12-$15 a month for flea control and $5-$10 for heartworm prevention for a small dog like a Chihuahua.It's also a good idea to get your own pet insurance or to set aside $10-$20 a month into a special saving account for non-routine vet bills (like an injury or illness).

• Most shelters do not offer dog insurance, or if so, only for a month or so. That is an EXPENSE you have to decide to take on...or not. Shelters are variable as to whether the dog has had a health exam or been checked for heart worms /fecal worms. Mostly, shelters usually spay/neuter & give basic shots before adopting out. Better ones allow you to take the dog on a trial basis. Yes, just like buying a car, you should have a reputable vet you TRUST, check out your potential new pet. A vet needs to check the heart (for murmurs) check the bite/teeth, check the eyes for problems, etc. Your vet needs to put into his records what shots & when the dog has had them. All dogs need to be put on a heartworm preventative & flea prevention. Your vet can advise you on which product & what dosage, is right for your dog.