How to keep my dog from scratching?

My puppy was diagnosed with mites (sarcoptic). We have given him the first shot of the 4 vaccinations today but he is still scratching like crazy, crying when he does. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep him from scratching as I am…

My puppy was diagnosed with mites (sarcoptic). We have given him the first shot of the 4 vaccinations today but he is still scratching like crazy, crying when he does. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep him from scratching as I am…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to keep my dog from scratching?...

• How to keep my dog from scratching?

How to keep my dog from scratching? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy was diagnosed with mites (sarcoptic). We have given him the first shot of the 4 vaccinations today but he is still scratching like crazy, crying when he does. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep him from scratching as I am worried he will hurt himself even further. He is a golden retriever, 3 months old, 5kgs. His next vaccination is next week. The vet gave us some pills for his itching but we she also said we wouldn't see an improvement for at least 3 more days... anything we can do to keep him from hurting himself?I thought about wrapping his paws with something... good idea? bad??

How to keep my dog from scratching? General Dog Discussions
    • WELL, A SOFT BRISTLE BRUSH WOULD HELP, AND A 50 DEGREE ROOM ALSO DO A LOT FOR IT, NOT TOO COLD EITHER, A BATH WITH A OATMEAL SOOTHING SHAMPOO (NOTHING FOR FLEAS OR TICKS) MASSAGING THE FUR AND TOWEL DRY, NOT SUN DRY NOR DRYER DRY, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• He will simply chew off the wrap.Did your vet inform you that Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious?You need to do a thorough cleaning of your house, bedding, miticidal dips every 5 days for a minimum of 6 treatments along with oral anti-inflammatory medication (corticosteroids) during the first week after diagnosis. All other dogs and cats living on the premises and having had significant contact with the affected dog should be treated as well, since it is possible they may be harboring sarcoptic mites, with or without accompanying clinical signs.This is a tough one.You can get it too.Benadryl, dosed at the rate of 1mg per pound of body weight is sometimes helpful for itching but it isn't a cure.Good luck