what are the pros and cons of owning a newfoundland (landseer)?

i was planning on getting one and i want to go swimming with it over the summer.by the way, i don't care if they're so big they take up the whole bed. i need someone who has experience with dogs.i would also like name ideas. i was thinking rusty if…

i was planning on getting one and i want to go swimming with it over the summer.by the way, i don't care if they're so big they take up the whole bed. i need someone who has experience with dogs.i would also like name ideas. i was thinking rusty if…...
    General Dog Discussions : what are the pros and cons of owning a newfoundland (landseer)?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what are the pros and cons of owning a newfoundland (landseer)?

what are the pros and cons of owning a newfoundland (landseer)? General Dog Discussions
      i was planning on getting one and i want to go swimming with it over the summer.by the way, i don't care if they're so big they take up the whole bed. i need someone who has experience with dogs.i would also like name ideas. i was thinking rusty if it's male and massie if it's female.

what are the pros and cons of owning a newfoundland (landseer)? General Dog Discussions
    • well i don't know much about them breeds but i'd say a good name for a boy is 'Tylow' that is what my staffordshire bull terrier is called,tysontigerbruzazattyzippyligern

• My neighbor owns 2. They are great dogs but they drool and fling it all over the place. She has drool rags in every room just for this purpose. They are typical of any dog, Grizz, her chocolate one is smart. Lance, her land seer, tries hard but he just doesn't get it sometimes! They are very friendly and loving though.

• Newfies are great dogs, but (you may not care about this) they require a lot of grooming and since they're big dogs, they don't live as long.However, they are great dogs, so good luck getting one! :]

• Newfoundlands are great dogs :) Not only do I own one, but I foster a few yearly. Newfs have a VERY special place in my heart. I will glady give you my two cents about this wonderful breed!!I work with and am a member of the Newfoundland Club of New England, so I get to deal with a whole lot of Newfs and a whole lot of drool :)Newfies are awesome dogs, I really cannot say enough good things about them, HOWEVER they have MANY health issues (genetic) and do not have a long life expectancy (8 years is average, so some pass younger and others live longer) because of their size (like any large breed). They also MUST to go to obediance classes because of their size and strength (the breed can be difficult to train).I also tell people you absolutely need a sense of humor when you own a Newfoundland!! Not only do they LOVE to get dirty, LOVE to get wet, SHED a TON, and DROOL (a lot - you should see my walls and floors!!!!!), but they will also push your buttons to see how far they can get you to go. They are very intelligent, so they can be challenging to train. Instead of just listening to the command you give, they actually think about it before doing it... so you need a patient and firm hand :) The key is being consistant from early on.Also, like any large breed... more expensive to feed, more expensive vet bills, more expensive flea/tick and heartworm prevention, and more exercise!!! My Newf and many of my foster Newfs are on TWO heartworm preventatives and TWO flea/tick topicals a MONTH because of their size!! It REALLY adds up... and quick!The only advice I can give you is to find your local Newfoundland breed club and go to different events. See as many Newfies as you can, talk to as many owners as you can, and PLEASE do a lot of research to find a responsible and reputable breeder. Ask a TON of questions, ask for references and actually call!! Educate yourself!! You would hate to purchase a Newf puppy from a mill/broker/backyard breeder and end up having to pay $2500 for hip surgery by the age of one. I have seen this time and time again with this breed at my work. The breed is notorious for hip and elbow dysplasia. Make sure the breeder is affliated with the AKC AND the Newfoundland Club of America (they are quite strict with breeder regulations). You will pay anywhere from $1,500-2,300 for a well-bred Newf from a reputable breeder. I suggest you check out www.petfinder.com to adopt a rescue Newfoundland in need!Good luck in your search!

• Newfs are wonderful dogs, but can be a handful. They are generally good with other dogs, but some males can be unwelcoming toward other males. They are great with kids, devoted to their pack, and love to get wet. However, feeding a giant breed can cost a fortune, so be prepared. The breed is prone to hip dysplasia, so proper nutrition and maintaining proper weight is essential. Grooming requirements are moderate...a Newf should be brushed at least once a week. And, a long walk every day is essential, as they are relatively inactive when indoors.

• My grandfather has a Newfoundland - and I can't say he's living the most exciting life. Last year he had to pay around $5000 in vet bills to keep him alive. He is only about six years old, but has many problems. He has trouble with his hip from time to time - due to hip dysplasia. His first Newfoundland died of heart problems - which is common in Newfoundlands. The only other bad thing I can say is massive shedding - but I would not recommend you refuse getting a pet you would enjoy due to how much they shed.On the other hand: My grandfather's Newfoundland is a very strong dog, even through all of this. He will run around, jump in the lake, and cuddle ontop of your feet. He's very trustworthy, loyal, and obedient. They are incredibly talented dogs, and are nice to have if you can afford it. And for a male, I like the name Sirius - which means Star Dog. For a female, I like the name Raven. Good luck!

• i can tell you already must love the breed, so I'll give you some cons that come with a Newfoundland: They shed. A LOT. We're talking huge clumps of hair all over the place.And they have the big dog drool too. Some dogs will be worse than others with the drooling, and they usually only do it if they are hungry or right after they drink. If the drool is a factor for you, then look for the dogs who don't have the huge lips. The less floppy lips, the less floppy slobber.Other than that, they are completely fantastic. They do best in a cool climate, and be sure to take him jogging!

• i have 2 newfs they are very nice and are lazy if they get some exercise, they love to swim and they are good for protection they usually bark and if people see them they scare them like trespassers and people like that if you dont want them to take up the bed you could get a mix or a smaller one, they are lazy but alot of them need companions they shed alot and you need to vacume alot but i think you should get one.

• Although I haven't had one, I do know a few pros and cons from the Newfs I've met:Pros: They're big and loveableThey love playing outsideSo much energyLove playing, periodCons:You'll have a lot of hair to clean upSometimes they don't know just how big they areWhen excited, they can knock you over