What's your best puppy tips? From birth to death? Icelandic sheepdog?

My family is getting an Icelandic Sheepdog puppy this summer. We've done a lot of research about almost everything which has to do with dogs, but I'd like tips from owners (of any breed) which could be from basic stuff like "Don't let it poop inside of…

My family is getting an Icelandic Sheepdog puppy this summer. We've done a lot of research about almost everything which has to do with dogs, but I'd like tips from owners (of any breed) which could be from basic stuff like "Don't let it poop inside of…...
    General Dog Discussions : What's your best puppy tips? From birth to death? Icelandic sheepdog?...

• What's your best puppy tips? From birth to death? Icelandic sheepdog?

What's your best puppy tips? From birth to death? Icelandic sheepdog? General Dog Discussions
      My family is getting an Icelandic Sheepdog puppy this summer. We've done a lot of research about almost everything which has to do with dogs, but I'd like tips from owners (of any breed) which could be from basic stuff like "Don't let it poop inside of your house" to expert tips! Any pics of your dogs would be fun to watch as well! Haha yeah Im an animal lover :)

What's your best puppy tips? From birth to death? Icelandic sheepdog? General Dog Discussions
    • Get the book, HOW TO HOUSEBREAK YOUR DOG IN SEVEN DAYS, written by Shirlee Kalstone. It works great, it is also easy to do (once you read the book and follow the directions), it's fast and best of it is very KIND. Buy it online at Dogwise, www.dogwise.com, for $7.99.Enroll in and attend the complete course of Sirius Puppy Classes. Make this dog not only the best one you ever owned but a shining example of what a good dog should be like. These classes are fun for the puppies as well as the people. Puppies begin at age 12 weeks.After your dog completes the Sirius Puppy classes, continue on. Herding breeds need a lot of mental stimulation as well as exercise. Sign up for clicker classes. Learn Flyball, Treibball, Agility, Canine Freestyle, more. Herding breeds are extremely smart and are fast learners.Puppy proof your home before bringing the puppy home. Realize that someone has to watch the puppy every waking moment. Don't give a young puppy the full run of the house, that's asking for trouble! Rooms need to be closed off or baby-gated to keep pups out. As the puppy grows and matures and becomes more reliable and better behaved, rooms may be added for him or her to explore, one at a time. And it will still need to be watched.Find out what kind of brush this dog needs and use it every day. Learn how to brush correctly and how to teach your puppy to accept grooming. Buy from a top show breeder so that you have a caring person to call for help should anything come up that you need an answer to right away. You will also have a better looking example of the breed and (it is to be hoped), a puppy from thoroughly health-screened, healthy ancestors.Enjoy your dog and make it a full part of your life. Don't make plans that will very likely cheat your dog out of his or her life, such as sneaking it into a No Pets Allowed place, playing roughly with it and encouraging it to act aggressive, or NOT reading one of the many "your dog and your baby" type of books available (see them at Dogwise) that teach you how to keep the dog AND the baby safe and happy, if a newborn baby is going to be a part of your home now or in the future.Keep regular veterinary appointments. This is even more important for the aging dog. At around age 6, switch over to a senior diet. Listen to your vet's advice. Ask questions of your vet. Keep the older dog as happy and comfortable as possible. Don't push him or her out into the cold, emotionally speaking, by getting another puppy, then lavishing all of your time and interest on the new pup, leaving the old one sad and lonely and feeling a tad hostile to the new pup.All of its life, your dog should sleep indoors, preferably in someone's room.Know that any sudden change in behavior *OFTEN* has a medical cause. Going to the vet should be the first thing to think of and do if ever the dog starts acting weird or just different or seems to lose its housebreaking.A dog's personality is almost completely formed by how well it is socialized and trained. If you want a gentle, friendly dog, train it in gentle, friendly ways and keep socializing it.There are many things a good owner can and should learn to do. Trimming the nails is one of these. Keeping the coat well brushed and tangle-free is another. Brush its teeth. It is a good idea to put together a basic first aid box for your pet. You can find lots of help with these things in the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog, which is a great resource for all dog owners. They also have some great baby gates and more.

• Your question is quite generalized, but I'll suggest a few tips.Crate training when you first get your pup. There are those who view crate training as cruel, but for everyone who has ever used it properly, they have found it to be a godsend. Keeping the pup confined at night keeps him safe and out of trouble, and using a crate also helps assist with house training. Make sure you get a size-appropriate crate - replacing it with a larger one as he grows - and once he's fully mature and trained, you can either get rid of the crate or keep it, if he enjoys sleeping in it. Always keep crate training positive (google crate training for tips on to how introduce and use one properly). Make sure too, that when he is going in his crate you don't make a big deal out of it, esp. if you are leaving the house; provide him with a Kong lined with wet dog food or other safe object that will keep him entertained while you are gone. Don't say 'goodbye' to him; just shut the crate (which should be in a quiet room away from main traffic) and leave. when you come home, don't go to him if he hears you and begins to cry; wait until he is quiet to go in and let him out. And when you open the crate door, block the entrance and make him sit until you tell him it's okay to come out. Always keep crate training positive, and don't use it as a form of punishment.Never punish a puppy for accidents in the house. They will happen, at least until the pup's bladder has grown and he has learned the difference between going indoors and outdoors. Don't open your back door and let the pup out, hoping that he will go to the bathroom, you need to establish a routine. Take him out on a leash, to the same spot where he has gone in the past, and give him a commmand to 'go pee'. He will soon associate the command with what you want him to do. If he has gone in the house, simply clean the area with an enzyme-based cleaner to eliminate the odour. If you catch him in the act, give a firm (but never angry) "NO" and take him outside right away. The only reason some pups continue to soil in the home after months of training is either (a) they have a health issue going on, or (b) the owner has not conveyed the training properly.Socialize your pup as soon as you can, and often. You want a dog who is friendly with other dogs and with people he doesn't know...you don't want to deal with a fearful, possibly aggressive dog. If he does display fear of anything - sights, sounds, people, dogs, whatever - then condition him to get used to it, and teach him that there is nothing to fear. Don't force him to face something directly if he truly is terrified, but work on a more gradual approach, working your way up as his fears begin to come down.From day 1, teach your dog that food bowl / object aggression (guarding) will not be tolerated. If he stands over something, or becomes tense when he has food or another object when someone approaches, you need to teach him that - again - there is nothing to fear, and this is not an action you will allow. When feeding him, regularly put your hand in the dish as he eats, offering him a delectable treat as you do. Praise him whenever he does not display any tenseness; when he wags his tail; when he accepts your hand in his dish. Do the same with toys, treats, etc.Always make sure that your pup has plenty of exercise, attention, and mental stimulation in his life. For the first few months someone will need to be at home with him so he can get to go outdoors to eliminate and stretch his legs. If all family members work or are otherwise away during the day, hire someone trustworthy to visit the home and take him out. Teach him the basics from the very beginning...sit, stay, down, 'place' (I use this one a lot: it is a command I give to my dog that tells him to go to his dog pillow and lie down, and stay there until I tell him it's okay to get up again...comes in very handy whenever someone new enters the home). Invest in a long lead (30 feet or more) to teach him recall when outdoors. A dog who does not heed its owner when off leash can either be a threat to others, or can wind up in real danger...recall should be at the top of the list as something to teach your dog. Again, google 'dog recall' if you're not sure how to train this.Make sure pup is up to date with all vaccines, and has regular vet visits. Don't spoil him, but love him...and enjoy his company, as I'm sure he will enjoy yours.