Can you give a dog tylenol or aspirin for pain?

My 90lb American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=a623b7f7eb8151858354f1bbdbde814fde524b27">Bulldog</a>'s left front paw is a bit swollen and he is limping really bad. It doesn't look broken or fractured, but may be sprained. I am putting ice on it periodically and am going to take him to the vet on Monday if it doesn't get better.…

My 90lb American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=a623b7f7eb8151858354f1bbdbde814fde524b27">Bulldog</a>'s left front paw is a bit swollen and he is limping really bad. It doesn't look broken or fractured, but may be sprained. I am putting ice on it periodically and am going to take him to the vet on Monday if it doesn't get better.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you give a dog tylenol or aspirin for pain?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you give a dog tylenol or aspirin for pain?

Can you give a dog tylenol or aspirin for pain? General Dog Discussions
      My 90lb American Bulldog's left front paw is a bit swollen and he is limping really bad. It doesn't look broken or fractured, but may be sprained. I am putting ice on it periodically and am going to take him to the vet on Monday if it doesn't get better. At this point he doesn't even want to walk but 3 steps and stops. Can I give him tylenol or aspirin or anything else for the pain until I can get him to the vet??? Thanks!! I'm so worried for him. (frown)forgot to mention that I checked all over his paw and pawpad and between his "toes" to make sure he didn't have anything stuck in there. It seems to be his joint right above his paw that is bothering him.

Can you give a dog tylenol or aspirin for pain? General Dog Discussions
    • honestly, i am not sure. My aunt has always given her dogs, she had poodles, the liquid tylenol, like for kids, the pink kind, it never hurt them, but as for the pills... i don't know,good luck!

• You probably don't want to give him anything that the vet hasn't suggested. You can maybe call a vet office to see what they suggest until you acutally get him to the vets.

• acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil) are both toxic to dogs.Before giving anything call the vets after hours emergency number and let them give you directions on what to do until monday, and whether this is a problem that can safely wait that long.

• NO! Don't give him anything until he is seen by a vet. If I were you I'd take him today. Why let him suffer? Vets are open on Saturdays.Good luck and I hope he gets better soon!

• There should be an emergency vet in your area. I do know that Tylenol is absolutely a no no for animals. Just keep putting the ice and try to locate an emergency vet in your area.

• You can, but in much smaller doses than humans, and for a shorter length of time.My strongest suggestion, and it has already been made, si that you contact your vet and have the joint looked at, it could be a sprain, it could be a small fracture, it could be any number of things, and the longer you try and treat it with aspirin or Tylenol, the longer it will take before you figure out what, if anything, is REALLY wrong with it and get it treated.

• Definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible. Until then, you could give him a "buffered" aspirin. Since it's buffered it will be easier on his stomach than a regular aspirin. Just give him one of them. It should help.

• NO Tylenol or asprin either. You need to have him seen if he's in that much pain. Dogs hide discomfort very well. If he will not put pressure on the paw than there is something very wrong. You shouldn't wait until Monday to have this checked out by a vet. Call your vet and have them guide you as to what to do for him.

• You can give your dog aspirin, but you should be careful of the dosage you give him. At 901lb I would give him half an adult dose. Aspirin can irritate the stomach lining. If it seems to have any adverse effect on your dog discontinue use and get animal prescribed painkillers from the vet.

• well as most things have been tested on animals..be it from a mouse to a horse i guess yes...but in SMALL doses...if you not sure check out with your local pet store that is in the no about things like this..

• Never, and I mean NEVER give a dog aspirin or Tylenol or any human analgesic. The best bet for your dog right now is to visit the emergency and have some X-rays taken. It sounds to me like your pet is on the obese side of things and that is probably what is hurting his skeleton. I could bet my life that your vet is going to diagnose osteo arthritis. There are many remedies for his affliction: Rimadyl and some other medicines specific for dogs are available without prescription.Whatever you do, take him to a doctor as soon as you can.

• Yes you can!!! Our big boxer/mut dog, was hurt one time also, I forget what happened, anyway we gave him advil liquid gels, we just put it in a hotdog he ate right up and nothing negative happened to him, he has been alive for 12 human years!!!!