My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…

He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?...

• My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep?

My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep? General Dog Discussions
      He is only 5 years old, but has terminal cancer. My vet said that whenever we felt it was time, we could have it done. The cancer has spread through his lungs, and he has started caughing blood. I'm afraid he will choke on blood and die a frightening death. He also has pain in his legs, and has trouble walking because of this. Before the cancer he was very active, but now he can only go on occasional short walks. In this situation, would you have the dog put to sleep, or let him die naturally.

My dog is dieing of cancer. Should we have him put to sleep? General Dog Discussions
    • It's the hardest thing to do, but I would put him to sleep rather than let him suffer. It was hard for me even when our dog was 15 years old. There's no easy answer for this. Good luck.

• He is in pain for sure...but as to how much and how severe...just depends on the dog. personally i put my dog to sleep when he was 2...he got cancer in his lungs and was constantly caughing up blood. If you let him die naturally he will go through alot of pain...but it would keep him with you longer...but its really all up to you, and how you feel about it.

• Depends on your stance on assisted suicide. HOwever, there is no real way of asking him if he wants to die. For animals, it would only make the owner feel better because they cant stop seeing someone they love feel pain. If you feel that he is no longer "happy" then go for it. That is my take. Up to you.

• Sometimes it is for the better. If the dog is in pain and you don't think they will get better than it is proabably for the best. Don't keep the dog alive if it is going to be in pain all the time. My dog is 14 and she is getting to the point where I can tell she hurts all over so I might have to do the same thing.

• Yes do it now. He does not need to suffer or be in pain any longer. We just had to put my mom's little dog down because he was in a lot of pain from the cancer. He was also very old 13 years old.

• I think I will let him die naturally. God has better plan for his fate. Further, I will want to take care of him every last moment I could, if I were u.

• I would have him put to sleep. Its a shame, but why let him suffer. You have to think, who are you feeling bad for, the dog or yourself? Are you letting him suffer because you don't want to let go? I would hate to be in this situation, I wish you luck.

• You know we can help out are 4 lag friends when they need it but we cant help are 2 lags friend this way Do the right thing for him when time time comes I have had to do it myself it is one of the hardest thing i had to do.

• I would put him on painkillers, definitely. If he looked like he is suffering so much that he has given up on life himself, only then I would choose euthanasia. Like if it was his choice. Animals show when they give up and just await death. Just make sure he is not in pain.

• That is a ver touching matter. If this was my dog i do not know what i would do also. Due to the fact you do not know how much pain the dog is really in, like a human who can sal how much pain they are in and how they feel unlike a dog. So its very hard. Now what i would do is give it a little more tim and see how the dog progrresses or if he gets worse than you are going to have to make a decision then. And it wont be an easy one. Good Luck! And God Bless!

• yes i know you love your dog but you are being selfish, please let this dog go he deserves to die a better way, he looks to you as his protector and master so do whats best for him, you will grieve but you will eventually get over it. I'm sorry you have to go through this but it is the inevitable.

• dont let him suffer put him to sleep it will hurt but ull no that he isnt in pain anymore.put urself in his shoes if ur in pain would u want them to put u to sleep. if u dont put him to sleep ur being selfish because u dont want him to go but he is in so much pain so please do ur dog a favor put him to sleep but make the last few hours on earth he has made them the best in his life.