Am I mad to have hope my dogs going to come home from the vets?

He had a stroke! He's 17.. Really lazy! Sleeps alot! I had him since I was 6 I'm 22 now! & everyday I come home from work I run upstairs to see if he's home! Monday he had a stroke & it's Wednesday here 9am. My dad was suppose to ring the vet yesterday…

He had a stroke! He's 17.. Really lazy! Sleeps alot! I had him since I was 6 I'm 22 now! & everyday I come home from work I run upstairs to see if he's home! Monday he had a stroke & it's Wednesday here 9am. My dad was suppose to ring the vet yesterday…...
    General Dog Discussions : Am I mad to have hope my dogs going to come home from the vets?...

• Am I mad to have hope my dogs going to come home from the vets?

Am I mad to have hope my dogs going to come home from the vets? General Dog Discussions
      He had a stroke! He's 17.. Really lazy! Sleeps alot! I had him since I was 6 I'm 22 now! & everyday I come home from work I run upstairs to see if he's home! Monday he had a stroke & it's Wednesday here 9am. My dad was suppose to ring the vet yesterday but my dad hasn't told me anything! Im so heartbroken! Feel like I'm losing my baby!! Am I holding on to false hope??

Am I mad to have hope my dogs going to come home from the vets? General Dog Discussions
    • It's very normal to behave that way but think of it like this.. WOW, you took care of him since you were 6 years old, and now you're 22.. He lived for 17 years, so you must be doing something right.. That is a very long time for a dog. If he has to go then there's nothing you can do about it. Why let a dog have struggling pain when you can let him sleep forever? Congrats.. 17 years in dog age is equivalent to 84 years in human age..

• Well as you are 22 yrs old, I would go down to the vet myself. Why are you waiting for your Dad? If your dog is not going to recover then you should be there to comfort him shouldn't you? It is a very distressing time for you and I really feel that you will both benefit from being together now.Best of luck x

• I hate loosing a pet that you had all your life. Three months ago i lost my cat niner, im fifteen and my pets are all i have since all the people i know don't like me because im not into drugs or screwing everyone in sight. And I had my cat niner since the day i was born, we shared a birthday. He was so special, and always there no matter what. He used to make my mom angry and id always say he was going to live to be like 30 just to piss her off. I wouldn't have traded niner for the world! I love watching old videos and seeing him everywhere in them, ever since i was a baby. But three months ago i was planning on going out to dinner with my cousin and went to go grab a coat and some shoes when i noticed niner laying on my bed. Whenever i saw him on my bed id say hi and how much i loved him and pat him on the head. on my way out the door i went to say goodbye to him and noticed he was drooling Alot and his jaw was swollen, i didn't ever notice this before now, i rushed to tell my dad and Niner was put to sleep that night. I got his ashes back a week later and i don't think ive ever seen my family cry harder over a pet. May niner rest in piece. I swear i still see him every now and then and even though i knew he died i still have hope hes there. I cant let go. RIP NINER May he live on forever.Even if your dog has passed, he lived a long life and a long life must have been a great life! dont feel bad about him being gone, be happy that he was there for you for that long. <3

• it is always hard to loose a pet, but 17 is quite a feat for any dog. You have given him a long wonderful life. You can go into the vet yourself, or just sit down with your dad and ask, he maybe trying to prevent you from heartbreak. Stroke is not easy to recover from and either way with an older dog you have to look at the quality of life your dog has, how much they have changed over the years and how much enjoyment they are getting out of life, how will the treatment help vs extend the pain. http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Determine-a-Dogs-Quality-of-Life, it is never an easy thing to deal with/except. I have been there several times myself, and have seen many people struggling with that decision. many people find comfort in this poem http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm