why would my shetland sheepdog scratch her face and yelp?

I can see my sheltie is in pain and the only thing externally sign she is showing is scratching her face and is extra sensitive to my touch when i pet her. Could someone give me a good idea as to why she is doing this?

I can see my sheltie is in pain and the only thing externally sign she is showing is scratching her face and is extra sensitive to my touch when i pet her. Could someone give me a good idea as to why she is doing this?...
    General Dog Discussions : why would my shetland sheepdog scratch her face and yelp?...

• why would my shetland sheepdog scratch her face and yelp?

why would my shetland sheepdog scratch her face and yelp? General Dog Discussions
      I can see my sheltie is in pain and the only thing externally sign she is showing is scratching her face and is extra sensitive to my touch when i pet her. Could someone give me a good idea as to why she is doing this?

why would my shetland sheepdog scratch her face and yelp? General Dog Discussions
    • She could have scratched her eye when trying to scratch her face. My dog has done that. Or she could have been stung by a bug and is sensitive to it. If she isn't swelling up, just check and make sure she stays that way. Also check in her mouth just to make sure nothing wierd is going on.

• Allergies, infection, tumor, cyst, cancer, fleas, parasites, insect bite, spider bite, systemic illness, concussion, blood clot, broken bone, back problem, the list keeps going and going. The dog needs to see a vet today.

• She could have an infected tooth, a severe ear infection, ear mites, something in her nasal cavity.... so many things. The most important thing is she is in pain and obviously is not going to stop it ... as she is trying to do ... by scratching. She needs some help and the vet is the only one who can determine what is wrong.I hope she is okay. I know it's hard to watch your dog in pain. I would take her into the vet now before the weekend hits and you have to worry about emergency vets and extra fees.Good luck.

• You should take her to the vet.... My Sheltie was doing this and I found out that one of her back teeth was infected. She had to have it pulled and was ok after that. It could be a number of things that only your vet can determine... If she's in pain you should definately take her.