Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do?

This is a moot question sadly; our dog had stage 3 cancer; things happened quickly and my husband took her late at night to the em. vet because we had to let her go. Sometimes I wonder if the vet would have said something if he thought it might not be…

Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do?

This is a moot question sadly; our dog had stage 3 cancer; things happened quickly and my husband took her late at night to the em. vet because we had to let her go. Sometimes I wonder if the vet would have said something if he thought it might not be…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do?...

• Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do?

Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do? General Dog Discussions
      This is a moot question sadly; our dog had stage 3 cancer; things happened quickly and my husband took her late at night to the em. vet because we had to let her go. Sometimes I wonder if the vet would have said something if he thought it might not be the right thing to do. I think it was but I grieve and still second-guess at times.

Would an emergency vet give an opinion if he felt putting a pet down wasn't the right thing to do? General Dog Discussions
    • It probably depends on the vet, but I think most of them would say something. I had a dog that we brought in to be put down.... when we got to the vet she told us that it wasn't the right thing to do, that the problem could be fixed, and our dog came home with us :)

• Any time you put a dog down you're going to have second guesses. We just had my 11 year old dog put down in November. He was a happy, playful dog during the day when he was awake and alert, but you could tell he was exhausted. He had a tumor in his nose that wouldn't let him breathe when he was lying down, and couldn't sleep at all without jerking awake to breathe.The vet probably would have given you an option for your dog's cancer is there was one. You probably could have done "doggy chemo" but it's extremely rare. This is because I don't think it's been used much so hasn't had much testing to see if it actually works, AND it's incredibly expensive. Stage 3 cancer, even with chemo, still doesn't have much of a chance for the dog. If she was in pain and slipping away it was probably the right thing to do.It's normal to second guess after putting a dog down. I think that applies to everyone. Don't worry about it, she's not longer in pain <3

• euthanasia is not an easy decision. Most vets i have seen try to remain neutral on the owners decision. Its normal to second guess your choice, and the last thing you need is to feel you made a wrong decision based on the vets opinion. Vets try to let you know all the options, costs, odds of recovery, etc to help you make the decision, but they still try their best to remain neutral to ensure that the decision is 100% yours. If your dog was terminal, and in pain, euthanasia was the best gift you could give your pet. She is no longer suffering. Im sorry for your loss. You may want to google rainbow bridge, that may help bring you some comfort.

• Don't second guess yourself. You did the right thing. With stage 3 cancer your dog was in allot of pain and I'm sure the vet. agreed with you. My vet. would say nothing unless he thought it was not the right choice. You let her go because you love her. The grieving will pass but you will always have the good memories. Sorry for your loss.

• This may sound cynical, but if an emergency vet can do loads of expensive treatments, they will. Your dog was probably dying already if she had cancer and took such a turn for the worse that you had to go to the emergency vet in the middle of the night. It was the right thing to do to euthanize her, and she's in a better place now. So sorry for your loss.

• I'm so sorry about your loss first of all, i know how hard it is to lose a pet like that, they become like children to us... I've had chickens, dogs, cats, and more die on me from old age, sickness and such, I live on a farm though. The vet i believe would have given you the choice whether or not to go through with it, but morally, you did the best thing possible for her. You are still grieving for her, and probably will be for a long time, my grandmother had to put her 10 year old shih tzu to sleep, her name was Ellie Mae, and she still misses her, that was almost three years ago, she got a new dog named Roxi to help her through the pain, but she calls her Ellie sometimes because she still misses her, Roxi's a Shih Tzu to. All vets i believe should give you the choice but, int his case, the vet had the right idea to let her go before it got to bad. Ellie had small holes though her kidneys, and it happened so fast, we couldn't believe it, the vet called with the test results and told us it was the right thing to do even though we could've had her for another few days, or a week, but is that really worth the dogs suffering? You're kind of like god in a dogs eyes, you're their best friend as well, they rely on you and you on them, she's probably looking down on you right now and saying thank you for helping her. Good luck with everything, i wish you the best Sue! =)

• Maybe, maybe not. But, would you really want them to?When I put down my 13 year old GSDx the vet questioned me on it. Apparently the vet felt that in pain and drugged beyond cognition was an acceptable life for a dog - I don't. I know I did the right thing, and all his questioning of my decision did was upset me. I don't respect him for it. It's really pretty simple - if you make a decision based on what you believe is in the best interest of the dog, it's never the wrong decision. Never. Don't second guess yourself. Vets don't have all the answers, they don't know your dog like you do, and the decision to put your dog down should be yours without feeling like you have to justify yourself.