Will a rabies shot hurt my dog?

Ok so I'm a little worried, I've read the side effects of vomiting, facial swelling, cancer, unconsciousness, or even death. I'm worried because we got her about six months ago, from a local shelter, and she was a stray. Since she was a stray, she has no…

Ok so I'm a little worried, I've read the side effects of vomiting, facial swelling, cancer, unconsciousness, or even death. I'm worried because we got her about six months ago, from a local shelter, and she was a stray. Since she was a stray, she has no…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a rabies shot hurt my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will a rabies shot hurt my dog?

Will a rabies shot hurt my dog? General Dog Discussions
      Ok so I'm a little worried, I've read the side effects of vomiting, facial swelling, cancer, unconsciousness, or even death. I'm worried because we got her about six months ago, from a local shelter, and she was a stray. Since she was a stray, she has no records. I don't know if she'll be overdosed or not. And even if its only one shot - how much pain will she be in? She's a 5 year old female cairn terrier.

Will a rabies shot hurt my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • The side effects are things that *can* occur, they happen in an astronomically small percentage of dogs that get the shot. A dog that is not vaccinated for rabies is a walking liability and is illegal - if she ever nips or even scratches someone and draws blood, in most states as unvaccinated dog she will be confiscated and decapitated so her brain can be tested for rabies.Talk to your vet about your concerns, there is more than one brand and type of rabies vaccination and they can tell you which has the lowest instance of side effects in cases like yours.

• She'll be fine - adverse reaction to rabies vaccinations are very rare and easily dealt with. The vet will give you a sheet stating what they possibly could be.In over 10 years of having literally dozens of dogs vaccinated (I rescue and foster) NONE has ever had a reaction, but that release you sign is scary I know, it's to protect the vet mostly, never had anything happen to a dog from the shot.You must get the dog vaccinated for rabies, it is the law. I would recommend getting her up to date on all vaccinations since you have no records - do it in 2 different visits, however, no point in loading the dog down all at once.Get the 3 year rabies vaccination, that way you don't have to go through it every year.Quite worrying, she'll be fine - and rabies vaccination is not optional, the law says all dogs must be vaccinated.

• Well, yes, those are the possible side effects. It worried me at first, too.I adopted my GS x Heeler just a few days ago from a rescue in the county next to my own (I live in Arizona) and he was vaccinated without a hitch. He's about four and a half years old, and at one time he was in County Animal Control care.I would say on very rare occasions, a dog could have those side effects. But it's much safer to have your dog vaccinated for Rabies than to have your dog contract it.

• Simplistic - all vaccinations have a very, very, very small chance of major side effects.However, The disease is highly contagious via saliva. And yes, should she ever bite someone, many states require she be immediately euthanized and tested.It's a mandatory vaccination in most states, so should this ever happen, you'd face criminal charges, not to mention a lawsuit from whoever was bitten, and very possibly a mandate stating you are no longer allowed to be a pet owner, either for a time frame, or forever.Would you leave a child unvaccinated against Hepatitis because of a 1 in 100,000 chance of minor complications? A 1 in a million chance of a major complication? Probably not.And your dog couldn't be boarded, go to a groomer, or participate in any event or be in a dog park, much like a child would be ineligible for school in many states.Overdosed? They measure the dosage by weight. Vets go through more years of school than many human doctors (contrary to urban legend.) After all, they have more than one system/anatomy to learn the ins and outs of Techs go through many years to get certified. Unless you're intending to get some bargain basement internet animal pharmacy, dosage shouldn't be an issue.Seriously, call around some vets, and ask them how many serious reactions they've seen in their careers. Odds are "none" will be the highest answer.Yes, a rabies shot can hurt. Well, it's a vaccination, and many vaccines can sting a bit. Think of it like one of the ones you have to get in your rump. Sure, it stings. And it may be a little painful or tender for a day or so. But you get the peace of mind of knowing if your terrier gets bitten by a stray, the only thing you need to deal with is the bite, not wondering if two weeks to years later you'll lose your pet to this illness (incubation periods vary to extremes.)

• dont worry! i have a 15 year old chihuahua and she just gor a set of 5 diferent vaccines, including the rabies and nothing happened, shes just doing good... get insurance is only like $30 a month and very helpful or a wellness plan at petsmart, includes all visits and vaccines for a year, very convenient, she's going to be ok, im so glad you did rescue a life, congratulations and God bless you