My dog seems to be getting more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions?

my lab mix dog is 7 years old, and has always been really friendly. Last week I was walking her on a leash and she encountered another dog not on leash and she attacked it when it came over to her. I was seriously hurt in the altercation. Yesterday,…

my lab mix dog is 7 years old, and has always been really friendly. Last week I was walking her on a leash and she encountered another dog not on leash and she attacked it when it came over to her. I was seriously hurt in the altercation. Yesterday,…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog seems to be getting more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions?...

• My dog seems to be getting more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions?

My dog seems to be getting more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions? General Dog Discussions
      my lab mix dog is 7 years old, and has always been really friendly. Last week I was walking her on a leash and she encountered another dog not on leash and she attacked it when it came over to her. I was seriously hurt in the altercation. Yesterday, she was on a leash again, and went after another dog, she drug my daughter and injured the other dog. I love her so much, but am scared to have an increasingly aggressive dog. Can anyone help me?

My dog seems to be getting more aggressive, does anyone have any suggestions? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, first off, get a muzzle WHENEVER you take her out. I would suuggest your daughter not walking her anymore, until you figure out what's going on with her. Maybe taking her to the vet? My dog got meaner when he had a ear infection. Then was fine when it was gone.

• I'd check to see if there are underlying medical concerns - sometimes a dog in pain is more defensive so there could be something going on physically. In the meantime, don't let your daughter walk the dog and if you do, go to the other side of the street or turn around if you encounter other dogs - get this resolved before any more injuries occur. If there is no medical concern, I would contact a good behaviorist to do an assessment.

• 7 years old, friendly all her life until recently. Oy!Don't be scared by what I have to share with you--but keep it in the back of your head. A friend of mine had a dog that was a real love bug for years (80 lb dog). That dog started exhibiting aggressive behaviour which was totally out of character. The owners took their dog in for a scan. Turns out there was a tumour growing on the dog's brain and it affected the dog's behaviour. She had to be put down since the tumour was inoperable.As the other bloggers noted already, get a vet's opinion and request a SCAN. There could be a tumour growing some where that is causing pain. And I agree with the others--don't let your daughter walk the dog, keep your dog on a strong, SHORT leash, and try to walk the dog when there will be fewer dog walkers around until you have a doc's assessment. Better safe than sorry!Best of health to you and your dog!