Is there anything else that can be done for my dogs arthritis?

I have an 18 year old Chihuahua/Beagle mix and she's developed pretty bad arthritis in her back legs and hips. Currently she is taking Rimadyl and Tramadol twice a day for the pain, but since it's become colder, the medication doesn't seem to be as…

I have an 18 year old Chihuahua/Beagle mix and she's developed pretty bad arthritis in her back legs and hips. Currently she is taking Rimadyl and Tramadol twice a day for the pain, but since it's become colder, the medication doesn't seem to be as…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there anything else that can be done for my dogs arthritis?...

• Is there anything else that can be done for my dogs arthritis?

Is there anything else that can be done for my dogs arthritis? General Dog Discussions
      I have an 18 year old Chihuahua/Beagle mix and she's developed pretty bad arthritis in her back legs and hips. Currently she is taking Rimadyl and Tramadol twice a day for the pain, but since it's become colder, the medication doesn't seem to be as effective.I try to take her for a short walk every night to help stretch things out, but I'm afraid it might be causing more damage then good. I'm not sure.Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about how to help her? I'll care her vet for advice,but I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts.

Is there anything else that can be done for my dogs arthritis? General Dog Discussions
    • The only suggestion would be to change the anti-inflammatory from rimadyl to something else and see if it has a better effect, but in general she is on the strongest medication she can be on.There are no herbal / natural products that come close to pain control like these.Could try glucosamin / chondroitin / msm.. but really don't think it will help that much now.Bless her EIGHTEEN years old.

• go to nzymes .comthis stuff works great I have a 16 year old Golden hta I seriously thought I had to have put to sleep due to arthritisand this stuff is great she now gets around pretty goodI also now home cook for her I have found several recipes for dogs with arthritis

• well i dont know about medication but i know for sure that swimming will help ur dog with her arthritis. it soothed her bones cuz the water is helping her do some of the work. good luck!