i heard you can put a rubberband on the tails and then they will fall off?

i think that's kind of mean, but i want the tails done, but can't really afford the vet.

i think that's kind of mean, but i want the tails done, but can't really afford the vet....
    General Dog Discussions : i heard you can put a rubberband on the tails and then they will fall off?...

• i heard you can put a rubberband on the tails and then they will fall off?

i heard you can put a rubberband on the tails and then they will fall off? General Dog Discussions
      i think that's kind of mean, but i want the tails done, but can't really afford the vet.

i heard you can put a rubberband on the tails and then they will fall off? General Dog Discussions
    • We used to dock tails off by tieing a string VERY tightly on the tail for a while (can take between an hour, to 5 hours) Usualy the animal was asleep. Just be sure you tie it inbetween the bones.

• This method of tail docking is very painful for a dog. This is not a humane way of docking a tail. The tail of a dog is a continuation of the dogs spinal cord. If you must dock the tail then do the RIGHT thing and take your pet to a vet.

• Most vets really don't charge much to dock tails (maybe $5 each?) -- seriously, you would be a lot better off taking these poor puppies to the vet than trying to do this yourself. Different docked breeds have different lengths of tail -- do you even know at which bone to dock?If you have to do it, wouldn't you rather subject these puppies to a moment of pain at the vet clinic than hours/days of pain because you cut off circulation to their tails?

• Yes, you can, but you'll get in big trouble. It's considered by the ASPCA as cruelty, and you'll get fined. Either leave the tails as is or save up money for a profesional to do it. They put the animal under so it doesn't suffer.

• It would be mean and you could get fined. When I was about 5 we had a dog that the tail was cropped. We took it to the vet it only cost us $30-$35. Some vets will do it for free, but only if there nice.

• OUCH! That sounds extremely painful and like it could lead to some serious complications for your dog. Please, take it to the vet, or, if you cannot afford to, consider NOT docking the tail.

• This is considered by law cruelty in most states. Not only is it unbearabley painful for your pet, it breeds very dangerous infection that can not only be more costly than docking, but can kill your pet.It's much askin to wrapping your pinky finger up tightly with string or a rubber band until the flesh just dies and falls off. That is all this procedures does; stops the bloodflow and kills the flesh.

• If you can't afford to have their tails docked off you shouldn't be letting your dog have pups. And by no means should you tie a rubberband around their tails. Docking an animals tail is the closest thing that comes to the pain of having a leg amputated. Leave their tails alone. And if your a breeder and the only way to sell this pups is to dock their tails, stop and think before you put these innocent things through this just to make a little money. The clinic I work at considers it cruel, so we do not do it. I suggest you don't either.