My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried?

I took my cat to a vet immediately after he broke his leg over two weeks ago. The break was completely internal, the vet showed me the x rays, all that was visible on his paw externally was some swelling.He put a splint on it and it took my cat 7 days to…

My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried?

I took my cat to a vet immediately after he broke his leg over two weeks ago. The break was completely internal, the vet showed me the x rays, all that was visible on his paw externally was some swelling.He put a splint on it and it took my cat 7 days to…...
    General Dog Discussions : My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried?...

• My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried?

My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried? General Dog Discussions
      I took my cat to a vet immediately after he broke his leg over two weeks ago. The break was completely internal, the vet showed me the x rays, all that was visible on his paw externally was some swelling.He put a splint on it and it took my cat 7 days to remove it (he succeeded when I was asleep), I took him back the next morning to get it redone. His leg was FINE when it was re-splint by a different vet working that day. His fur was a little flat but he had no sores or anything (he's full white)Now he's had it on a two days passed the recommended time the vet told me to keep it on and today for the first time I noticed a smell coming from the bandages, I assumed it might just be from the litter box but when I smelled it up close it was the smell of a wound.I've removed the bandage myself (the vet said I could do it myself/my cat would do it/or I could bring him in and she'd take it off if I could come in on a week day) and now that its off I see that on the top side of his hind leg where the bandage was at the bend (like where human feet bend) he has no hair and irritated red flesh. It honestly looks like a small abrasion from the bandage, there's scarce almost non visible traces of blood and it doesn't look open or look infected.Should I take him back to the stupid vet who put the bandages on too tight or will it heal on its own?(He is a completely indoor cat, he never goes outside because I never let him out EVER) he's fully vaccinated, eats a balanced Hill Science Diet and he doesn't seem to be in any pain.Advice from anyone who's had this problem before?Thanks

My cat has a splint for his broken leg and its injured him, should I be worried? General Dog Discussions
    • For his comfort and your peace of mind I would recommend you take back to the vet for a recheck. the vet will want to look at it to verify no infection and that everything looks okay. He may want to retake an x-ray to see how it is healing and if necessary put on a new and/or different type of bandage. Breaks are nothing to play around with and you want the best for your cat.I have seen a dog that had a broken leg and it was assumed to be healing okay. Once the splint was removed and a follow-up x-ray taken it was discovered that the break never healed. Don't take a chance that it will heal on its own.